Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #1 
Lucillia

Crowntail possibilities?

I have two boys I absolutely love the colors of, and they're gorgeous when they flare!

Is there anything specific I should know about showing these two? Are the even worth showing?
Lucillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #2 
Ilikebutterflies

You cannot show them unless you bred them(unless of course you wish to show as a team with the breeder).

If you plan to show you would have to know the crown-tail standards.
Neither fish has straight clean rays so I would say "no" if you did want to show them.

Black coppers are my favorite though! Black orchids run a close second. Coppers are often mislabeled at pet stores as black orchids-the difference being the highlights in a black copper are of course copper and black orchids are blue or green.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #3 
Lucillia

It would be for a small group I'm joining in RI, but I wanted to know in general what is good and bad. Sorry to be a newbie, but can you explain the difference in rays?
I love my copper so much! We're going to be breeding him this winter hopefully! :3
Old 09-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #4 
Ilikebutterflies

Betty Splendens is always a great place to start.
http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...?articleid=753

You will want to read through every single page before you start breeding. Then you will want to join the IBC for only $20. You can find everything you need to know there pertaining to showing.

Don't forget if you are breeding crown tails you will need fairly soft water or all your hard work will be for nothing. Hard water causes their rays (the spikes on their fins) to wrinkle up and/or curl. Double check your water supply before committing to a crown tail.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #5 
Lucillia

I think I have soft water made of miracles and magic. All my betta's ended up sick and stressed on my way home from Canada.... It took a week of clean water every day and salt but all of them but one cleared up. R has healed his tear within two days. I brought my water to test at work and my co-worker was like holy poop you need to make your water harder! But all the fish seem fine and happy.

Woah! I thought IBC was going to be a lot more expensive... >.< Thats really good to know. I'll join them and my local group! I might start with the local group first since it will be easier to start with I think.

Thank you!!! This is great info!
Old 09-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #6 
Ilikebutterflies

If your water is super soft you just may want to make it a bit harder by adding shells or something like that. Really soft water=really unstable fish water.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #7 
Lucillia

I don't think its that soft, I haven't had any issues with levels unless I'm adding fish. Overall I've had very good luck thus far and I really hope it continues into my breeding with my friend!

Weird question, do you know of any sites the compare the different rays side by side? I'm a really visual person and it helps to put it right in my face ><
Old 09-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #8 
Ilikebutterflies

Check your pm's.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #9 
Lucillia

Here's the original picture for my copper!
Old 09-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #10 
Ilikebutterflies

Wow. What happened to his rays? It doesn't even look like the same fish??!