Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #1 
ZubinBetta

Question Has New Life Spectrum changed their Betta Formula?

Hello fellow betta lovers,
I have not been on this forum for several weeks, but just today found reason to return with a question. I was at PetCo today to buy fresh pellets for my friend, and I decided to pick up the New Life Spectrum that is so highly recommended here. It was not until I was waiting outside the store that I decided to read the list of ingredients, of which the first three are Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Whole Wheat Flour. I was shocked, thinking that it would be whole fish and not "meal" and certainly not wheat. These were not the ingredients I expected after reading long discussions on this forum on the best foods and their composition. So beware the wheaty fish foods!
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Honestly, a good quality meal product is better than a 'whole' meat product. This is because the weight of the whole meat product includes the water content as well. If you removed this, you may find it further down the ingredient list with a less desirable ingredient first.

Also, I am pretty sure pellets have to have some sort of wheat in them as it binds the ingredients together. So it is not surprising to find it there.

NLS is one of the best brands of food on the market for fish. Fish being fed it regularly could certainly do a lot worse.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #3 
ZubinBetta

Thank you, LBF. I had been under some misconceptions about certain ingredients and concoctions that were to be avoided in choosing fish foods. But I still wonder if, despite your well-placed apologetics, NLS has indeed changed their formulation.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #4 
darkangel

meal just means the ingredient has been dried and lost its water content. So krill meall its just dried krill without water, its the same stuff.

its okay that there is some wheat because the first 2 things are good stuff, omega one has wheat as its 3rd ingredient too. its kind of necessary or the pellet will be all crumbly.

I been using new life spectrum for all bettas, before I fed the hikari one but I have to say new life spectrum its much better. my fish gained more weight from nls and if they bite their fins, the regrowth gain more color faster. thats what I noticed anyways.

p.s. I think their formula hasn't changed...can't be sure but krill and herring has always been in there I believe.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

I'm not certain if they have changed or not. I have a couple different foods from them that were purchased early last year and they have exactly the same first three ingredients as the ones you have listed.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #6 
ZubinBetta

I am sorry if I made something out of nothing (as seems to have occurred), but what you have said here in reply, LBF and darkangel, has been reassuring to me. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

That's fine. I prefer to read posts on this forum about owners being overly concerned rather than having no concern about the welfare of their fish at all.

You should find your fish enjoy their new food. Also, I have definitely noticed an improvement in the colour of my fish that have been fed a diet of NLS pellets.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #8 
Blue Fish

I love NLS, *but* they have recently changed their formula. Unfortunately, I don't have the old container to compare, but on the package I bought the other day, it does state: "New high concentration formula". Also, they're *bigger* now than the ones I bought previously...and they're supposed to still be the 0.5mm size. The ones I bought before were really, really tiny. So small that even the littlest girls have no problem eating them. The ones I've purchased now are definitely 0.5mm, and *much* larger than my guys were eating before, and these ones float quite a bit better. NOW I understand people talking about feeding just 2-3 pellets... :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #9 
rickey
Banned

I personal feed Omega one to may Bettas

What you are looking for is a high protein with some fat, a low fiber and ash in the Guaranteed Analysis I don't care how they get there as long as the livestock will eat it.

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote