Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #11 
sainthogan

The myth about Betta fish is that they live in puddles, but the fact is they live in rice paddies, that are long and shallow. They are also tropical and need warm water at an absolute minimum of 76 - though many will say 78. They are kept in those tiny cups because it easy for breeders to keep many at a time. A spawn can include hundreds of fry at a time. And it's a selling tactic to make you think that Betta fish are low maintenance, but they really aren't. I had a pet store employee tell me that the average life span of a Betta was 6-8 months and that's why they make good pets for little kids, but really it should be 2-4 years.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #12 
soundwave

You shouldn't put your betta in plain tap water. Always add the right amount of conditioner to water before your betta goes into it/the water goes into his tank.

I'm not sure where you live, but if you have a Wal-Mart nearby they have good deals on aquariums. I got a 5 gallon there with a filter included for about $30. It's actually a better deal than the smaller tanks. You only have to change 50% of the water once a week in a filtered 5 gallon.

Females are smaller than males and have shorter fins. Bettas absolutely warm up to you! They do seem to get attached to their owner. For decorations, soft silk plants are great. Don't use any rough or sharp rocks.
soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #13 
Cowgirlthing

Thank you guys! I'll for sure look at Wal-Mart for tanks! Our pet store is a rip and sells them for 70+ without anything. No filter or heater. I have unfortunately only 80$ to spend on supplies so far due to living and bills :(
Cowgirlthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #14 
Jdillio1988

If you look at Petsmart or Petco they normally have pretty good deals. You can get a 10 gallon tank and gravel and a heater for $50. WHen it comes to filtration i recommend a sponge filter that you can purchase on line for about $8. Most other filters, in my experience, can cause to much of a current for bettas!
Jdillio1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, betta, firsttimeowner, fish, myfirstfish