Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #1 
Yuuki

Little Sushi isn't feeling well...

I got Sushi, a crowntail Betta, from the Petco just last week. He seemed fine for the first couple of days, but has went downhill from there. The 4th day I had him home, he randomly started gasping for air and losing all of his color! He did this a few times, while darting around his tank like mad! Adding some aquarium salt to the water seems to have stopped that.

Then on Sunday.... I noticed that he seemed to have Velvet. It's heavily attacking his gills, in them and around them. They're a bit swollen and he seems unable to flare, but his breathing is normal.

So, I started treatment with Coppersafe for his Velvet yesterday morning. Again, he's only went downhill since I put in this medicine; I'm not sure if it's from the medicine or just his illness. And now... he's up in one corner of his tank, tilting sideways and occasionally blowing a bubble or two.

He'll move only if I go over to the tank and bug him. But when he does, it seems like he doesn't have much control over his swimming. He's a bit bloated and he hasn't pooped since yesterday morning, so I'm afraid he may have SBD too. I'm going to resist the urge to feed him for a few days and well... hope he poos?

I'm getting a new medicine for the Velvet soon, something called Quick Cure that I ordered, but it won't be here until Friday. Should I continue the Coppersafe treatment or start removing it from the water?

Other info: He's currently in a small, 1 gallon tank, unfiltered, but heated with a mini-heater. Temperature is generally around 77 degrees. Since he's been sick, I've been doing about 30% water changes everyday; though I've done 50% changes over the past two days, since that makes it easier to re-dose the Coppersafe correctly.

I do have a 2.5 gallon tank set up for him, but decided not to stress him out by moving him now. I use water conditioner to remove any chlorine. Ammonia tests come up negative. I'm not sure of the PH.

I'm a tad new to the fish world... so... clear English directions please? xD

And sorry for being so long winded. It's just that I've posted this everywhere and received no helpful answers at all.
Yuuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #2 
Yuuki

Huh.... well, he's finally pooped. But it hasn't improved his balance, and he still looks a tad bloated. Seems like he can't get more than half and inch below the surface of the water, he just starts floating back up.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

It sounds like swimbladder disorder. Fast him for a few days then feed him some daphnia.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #4 
Yuuki

Living Daphnia I suppose? Sadly... there's really nowhere around me to get that. I can only find freeze-dried Daphnia. I'm just afraid that the Velvet may have gotten deeper into his system and caused this.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Freeze dried or frozen daphnia is fine.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:12 PM   #6 
Yuuki

Hmm... I'm starting to think my daughter may have snuck in and fed him behind my back.

He's done quite a large poo now and I have definately not fed him that much. Seems like his balancing problem is straightening out though, he can swim to the bottom without so much effort now.

Still need help with the Coppersafe medicine I've been giving him though. Overall, I'd like a good idea of how to treat Velvet, as it's still pretty quickly spreading over poor Sushi. D;
Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Try Aquarisol. Its for ick and velvet and is easy to use. You use 2 drops per gallon every day until the velvet is gone. I got this from Healthybetta.com. It didn't say anything about water changes.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #8 
Yuuki

He's not really doing any better this morning... His abdomen is swollen up again, like he was overfed, but he hasn't eaten since yesterday morning. And still having troubles with his swim bladder. I'm starting to think he has intestinal parasites as well, but I don't think I should medicate for that and the Velvet at the same time.

The Velvet appears to have started falling off though! I noticed little bits of... stuff at the bottom of the tank today, can't explain it really, just white dots basically. Considering that he doesn't have as much gold on him as he did, I suppose these were some of the parasites.

Should be getting a better tank heater delivered today, so I can raise the temp and get rid of these things a bit faster.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #9 
neenjar

Try giving him a salt bath, do a 100% water change adding some salt to the water, and get rid of the coppersafe for aquarisol. If you can adjust heat raise it to 82-84 degrees gradually and keep the tank dark. light helps velvet spread, it is a parasitic algae that likes cool temps (below 72) and hates warm temps (82-84)
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #10 
Yuuki

I can't get Aquarisol, I looked for it again today with no luck. His tank is in a pretty bright area of the house... so I've covered it with a towel during most of the daytime. Salt baths I've tried and it's done no good, he's just continued getting worse. Temperature is as high as I can get it right now, 81.5 degrees.

And.... we've apparently got even more going on now. He's got fin rot. Wasn't sure of it since his fins naturally have black and white ends, but some of them are noticeably shorter today. So.... continuing with the Coppersafe, and adding in Maracyn-Two for the fin rot. Considered some of the other medicines, but wasn't sure if I could use them with the Coppersafe.

Still haven't fed him, but his abdomen is still swollen. And still having problems with his swim bladder apparently; he can swim down to the bottom now, but when he sits still at the top, he turns completely over on his side.