First of all, welcome to the forum
How big is the bowl? The minimum tank size for bettas is one gallon.
So here are just some general care questions!
- What sort of water do I use? Bottle, Tap, etc. Tap is fine, but you need water conditioner to make it safe.
- How often should I clean out the bowl? And how do I clean it out, transfer the fish, etc?Depends on how large it is...
- Any food suggestions?New life spectrum betta formula or omega one betta pellets are the two highest quality, most commonly available foods.
- Decoration suggestions?Soft plants, real, silk, or fake are great, or cave like objects.
- Do fish "warm up to you"?They can, mainly because they associate you with food.
- How should I transfer the first from the bag to the bowl?You have to acclimate it... Basically, float the bag or cup in the bowl, and keep adding small amounts of water every 5-10 minutes for 1/2-1 hour.
- How do I tell a male from a female?Males have longer fins (plakat, or short finned males, are the exception), females will have ovaries and may have a white dot between the ventral fins (called an ovipositor), etc.
- Any other tips or suggestions for me?Just ask if you need any other help :).