Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #1 
Blue Fish

Anyone ever tried making a sealed foam rock wall for an aquarium?

Has anyone ever tried doing one of those sealed Styrofoam rock walls for their tanks? It looks *fairly* straightforward from the videos I've found...but sometimes looks are deceptive. :)

Anyone ever tried one?
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #2 
helms97

Ive made them for my reptiles and am considering doing it for a few of my fish tanks too. they are really easy and look good in the end! The hardest part (which really isnt even hard at all) is spreading the cement / grout.
helms97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #3 
peachii

We are going to be doing it on the new 40 gallon we are getting next week. It won't be an immediate set up as we need a stand, decide on the slate we want to use and then let it dry and cure for a few weeks. Stone really wants the slate rock wall, filled in with moss look. We aren't going to use styrofoam, rather will use silicone sealant and then jam moss between the cracks and let it grow in to look natural. I'm excited about the moss look, wasn't so excited about the styrofoam/slate because seems you would lose to many inches out of the back of the tank. It's all about plant space for me :P
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #4 
Blue Fish

I wondered about that, and since I've never used the cement before, I thought I'd give it a go with another option. ;) I tried using a textured spray paint from krylon, with accents done by hand with non-toxic acrylic. (I found info on it on another couple of forums and it was agreed that the acrylic won't hurt the fish and if sealed will not chip or flake.) I've got the sections cut out, glued together, and the first layer of spray paint is drying. I'm hoping to put on the accents/shadows tonight, then tomorrow I'll spray on the kyron fusion sealant, and then start soaking to make sure that it all stays put. :)

Did you have any trouble getting it to stay put in the tanks? I've heard that it can be difficult to keep it from floating up.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
We are going to be doing it on the new 40 gallon we are getting next week. It won't be an immediate set up as we need a stand, decide on the slate we want to use and then let it dry and cure for a few weeks. Stone really wants the slate rock wall, filled in with moss look. We aren't going to use styrofoam, rather will use silicone sealant and then jam moss between the cracks and let it grow in to look natural. I'm excited about the moss look, wasn't so excited about the styrofoam/slate because seems you would lose to many inches out of the back of the tank. It's all about plant space for me :P
Ooh, I've seen a video from a guy who did decorations/walls in slate, and they were beautiful. :) I worry about the weight though, and, like you, I want to make sure that the back wall is as thin as possible.

For this one I've just done layers that are a max of 2 inches thick, and that's just for overhangs/caves, the rest of it is about 3/4 or 1 inch thick...which leaves a better amount of space in the tank. :)

I can't wait to see pictures of your slate wall! I'm sure you guys will make it look *amazing*. :)