Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #11 
shannonpwns

Still nothing...she's been released into the tank, and keeps destroying his bubble nest. Which I think is really pissing him off. Now his bubble nest is pitiful, it barely covers half of the styrofoam cup. The few times I've checked on him today, he's blowing bubbles, and goes and invites her to the nest, sometimes she follows him, but just ends up going back to her hiding spot. /sigh
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

She may not be quite ready for spawning. Based on the video on the previous page she looks fairly disinterested in the male, unless her behaviour has drastically changed since the video was taken.

Most of my females when they are ready to spawn after being kept separate from the male, are climbing the walls trying to get out. All their attention is focused on getting to the male.

She might need a little longer in the jar just to get her really worked up.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #13 
shannonpwns

Okay my thoughts exactly, she seems uninterested. She was looking at the nest a lot, but then she'd jump up into it or hit it with her tail and take off.

I just sat and watched them for about ten minutes and she's hiding under the IAL, hes working on the nest. About every 60 seconds, he stops and approaches her, wagging his body. She just ignored him about 5 times and continued to just hang out in the corner. Then he came and got her and she followed him to the nest, looked up into it and then swam away really fast and he chased her and was trying to bite her, this chase lasted about 7 seconds, then reset...he's back at the nest and she's back under the leaf, and he continues to lure her back over every 30-60 seconds.

I got a 4 minute long boring video of it, but I missed the action sequence since my iPads memory is full so I had to stop..figures. Need to go delete my music so I can take videos of my fish lol.

Anyways, should I rejar her?
Old 09-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

I personally would. Sometimes I find it's counterproductive if the female is clearly not ready and the male continues to harass her and chase her around.

Of all the spawnings I have witnessed between my bettas, when she is ready to spawn, the female becomes a lot more assertive and will hold her ground against the male while he is flaring and displaying.

If she is giving way and being chased it says to me that she may need a little longer.

Some people are happy to leave their splendens in together, but having read a lot of threads where fish have been seriously maimed or even killed due to a lack of supervision I would not be able to do it.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #15 
shannonpwns

That's definitely the last thing that I want. In the past two hours she has some tears on her fins, and yesterday she had some scales ripped off. Is it okay to feed them? I've read yes and no, so I just want to be sure what's best for them.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

Feeding them should be okay. I have fed pairs while they had taken a break during wrapping and they weren't disturbed by it at all.

Just feed a small amount and if neither party is interested in eating, there's no harm done.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #17 
shannonpwns

Thanks, I fed them both and the female was hungry, so maybe this will give her what she needs to get in the mood lol. The male ate maybe 2 pellets, but he was more interested in circling her jar than food. Tonight ill give them a few blood worms for dinner if they're interested.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #18 
snowflake311

How long has it been?
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #19 
LittleBettaFish

No worries. It's rare for a spawn to go like clockwork, and there is no one way of doing things.

You have to sort of figure out what works for your fish and what you are comfortable with.

Some of my fish are like gladiators when they are courting/spawning, while with others it is more of a slow and deliberate seduction.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #20 
shannonpwns

It has only been 24 hours. I re-jarred the female, ill try adding her again when she starts acting like the fierce female I know she is lol. I guess I released her too soon. She was VERY interested all day yesterday, and then she just...stopped caring. She has bred before, so I figured she'd be easy for him to mate with, since she knows what to do....but no...she's playing hard to get.