Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #21 
LittleBettaFish

Who knows what goes on in the heads of these fish. I had a male recently spawn, who worked on his bubblenest for days and days and got very angry when the female got in the film canister and wouldn't let him in there to work on it some more.

I really couldn't see what improvements he had made to his nest but then again I am not a male betta.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #22 
snowflake311

I think putting her in a jar would be a sep backwards.

You really do not need to keep the female in a jar and wait that's not what the Thai breeders do. They just condition the fish and then throw them in a blow.

I now have tried both ways and I don't think I will go back to the keeping a female in a glass cup.

It often takes longer then 24hr often for a new pair to spawn.

Don't worry about the nest my males nest got messed up right before they spawned. It's how the fish are acting that matters. As long as there is a little nest it's ok.

If the female is not stressed I would leave them alone. They will get it. My male had to beat up my female first before they spawned. Just leave them alone. If they are not killing each other don't separate.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #23 
shannonpwns

Back and forth, back and forth lol. Now I feel like it will mess it up even MORE if I un-jar her lol. Ill post the video I took of what was happening once it uploads. It says its gonna take an hour...sheesh.

So should I just unjar her now or leave her jarred for a day and try again tomorrow? These poor fish....lol.

Once the video is done...this will be the link.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #24 
snowflake311

If you really don't think it will happen take them both out and recondition them. Don't let them see another betta fish. Just keep the water extra clean and make sure they are well fed.

I would just leave them don't mess with them I know it's hard. My female was getting her butt kicked and I thought maybe I should remove her. But I just let them work things out. With me leaving them alone they got to work.

I say take them both out start over. Or just leave them alone. It can take up to 4 days for a first time pair to spawn.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #25 
shannonpwns

The video should be working now if anyone wants to see what was happening
Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #26 
snowflake311

I have only seen 3 different spawns of my own. i hope that the 2 I have going now will give me fry. But have seen other fish like different cichlids spawn too.

Looks like things are going well honestly. Is the male beating the female up at all? I feel like the chase where the male very aggressively chasses the female is something that has to happen a few time before the female gets the hint.

Just leave them alone it looks fine. She will give in soon enough.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #27 
shannonpwns

Okay I will release her again and leave them. After she ate the pellets, she's now acting more lively in the jar, swimming towards him at the glass, rather than just sitting there.

She has a tear in her dorsal fin, and her anal fin is a tiny bit shredded at the back tip and there's a few of her scales on the bottom of the tank, but nothing serious at all.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #28 
snowflake311

All normal booboos my poor girl has some fryed fins more then just nips. My male was rough . She is doing fine acting like nothing happened.

My female sat and hid a lot too. She would just sit and do nothing. Then the male would find her and remind her of the job at hand. When the female comes around I find she submits closes up her fins and looks small. The male then stops picking on her and she will do the head down.

She is not ready. It takes time .

Last edited by snowflake311; 09-04-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #29 
shannonpwns

This may be a failed attempt. He doesn't even have a bubble nest anymore. Even though he's under the cup constantly still, and blows bubbles, but no nest. The female is invited to the nest constantly still, and she always follows him every time I've seen today, but there's no nest so she just wanders off.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #30 
snowflake311

Do you had a good cover on the tank? The bubble nest needs humidity. If you are openin and closing the top or don't have a top on at all the nest will pop pop pop till all the bubbles are gone. I saw this happen with my boys nest. So I don't touch the top at all. I live in a very dry climate. You being in so cal are also in a dry climate. Plastic wrap can work well for the top.

It migh best to recondition them and try again another time. They now have a little bit of experiences .