Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #1 
loveDelphine21

Angry Ghost shrimp biting betta tails?

So I recently noticed that my two half-moons, Merry and Pippin, both were getting what looked like fin rot on their tail fins. At first I thought maybe they were biting their own tails, but just about 10 minutes ago, as I was watching them, one of my ghost shrimp swam up, grabbed hold of Merry's tail, and literally tore a chunk off. It was horrible! Needless to say, I immediately removed all the ghost shrimp.

Has anyone ever had this happen before?? I'm afraid to put the shrimp in any of my other tanks, I don't want anymore tails being hurt.
loveDelphine21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #2 
Namialus

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveDelphine21 View Post
So I recently noticed that my two half-moons, Merry and Pippin, both were getting what looked like fin rot on their tail fins. At first I thought maybe they were biting their own tails, but just about 10 minutes ago, as I was watching them, one of my ghost shrimp swam up, grabbed hold of Merry's tail, and literally tore a chunk off. It was horrible! Needless to say, I immediately removed all the ghost shrimp.

Has anyone ever had this happen before?? I'm afraid to put the shrimp in any of my other tanks, I don't want anymore tails being hurt.
That's so odd... normally it's the betta biting the shrimp and hurting it or whatever, but never have I heard of what happened to yours! You did what you could.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #3 
Canis

Are you absolutely sure you have ghost shrimp? I know that there is another type of shrimp very similar to ghost shrimp, which is very aggressive.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #4 
loveDelphine21

I bought them from my local petstore and they said they were ghost shrimp. Ill double check though, that could totally be a huge problem.
loveDelphine21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #5 
spiralsong

I have 9 ghosties in with my betta (allegedly - this morning I can only find 7 of them) and they leave him alone. He likes to sneak up on them and make them zoom across the tank, in fact. If anybody's doing the bullying, it's Malachai, not the ghosties.

Good luck!
spiralsong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghost shrimp, tail biting