Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #1 
beckydelanee

not eating after full water change because of medication

i've had my veiltail betta, Mikoto, over a year now. a month ago i've been treating him for torn fins (and i'm still treating it. it seems like once it looks all healed it rips at a different location).

besides the torn fins, his skin never changed colour. always comes up to the top of the tank when i walk by.

he's currently sitting in a 1/2 gallon because he hates the 2.5 tank i got him two months ago (he was pretty lifeless and got me worried), so i had to switch it back to the 1/2 gallon and he's swimming happily, eats bloodworms regulary because he spits flakes and pellets out.

he was perfectly fine until i did a 100% water change yesterday because again, i'm using bettafix for his fins.
i've tried feeding him after his water change but, he wouldn't eat; he just sits at the bottom of the tank.
i've fed him today when i woke up, and he still won't eat; he'll glare at it for a few seconds then swim away.
he flared when he saw his neighbour crowntail, Fierce, yesterday.
i've tried putting a mirror in front of his tank, he flared but his gills didn't flare out. then i tried it again, and he stopped flaring.
he even stopped coming up to the tank when i walked by now.
i've also noticed he has a tiny red patch on just .the right side of the gills.

i don't think the water is cold because Fierce is swimming like no tomorrow but i moved him to a sunny spot in the house.

please help :( he's my favourite fish.

i'll post pictures up after my dentist appointment tonight.
beckydelanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Water in a half gallon needs to be changed twice a week. Also, try to wean him off the bloodworms as his staple food. That's like letting a kid eat nothing but candy. Bloodworms are to be fed as a once or twice a week treat. I recommend Hikaro betta bio gold pellets. . Pellets should be used as their staple diet. They can also be fed freeze dried or frozen daphnia,and brine shrimp.I hope this helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #3 
beckydelanee

thank you so much dramaqueen.
i was planning change the water twice a week after reading many, many threads. my dad told me to try pellets instead of freeze-dried bloodworms. (he even thinks i clean the water too much. he should be happy that my bettas lasted just as long as the 15+ goldfish i had when i was younger). i'm going out tomorrow morning to get the pellets you've recommended.

what should i do about the red spot? (see picture below)
should i change the water once a week until his fins are all fixed then start cleaning the tank twice a week?

other than that, that's the colour he was when i first got him. i took the ugly one because he looked ignored.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:37 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can never change the water too much. Water quality is very important. I would try some Betta Fix for the red spots near or on his gills. What were you using for the torn fins? Do you have any plastic plants or decorations in his tank that he could have torn his fins on?
Old 07-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #5 
beckydelanee

i'm using bettafix right now for his torn fins and i'm assuming it's going to help the red spot as well. i'm using plastic plants. i've read somewhere i should use sandpaper and nylons to get rid of any rough edges.. or use switch to silk plants.
what would you recommend for plants?
Old 07-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #6 
beckydelanee

are there even small silk plants available anyways?
Old 07-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would get some silk plants. I bet that is what caused your betta's fins to become torn. I think the problem will be solved when you remove them. I would keep using the Betta Fix and if the red spots get worse, you may need an antibiotic.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:12 PM   #8 
neenjar

I'd give him a salt bath or 3 along with the bettafix. It certainly can't hurt and often times helps them heal quicker.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can get silk plants at Petsmart or any other lfs.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #10 
beckydelanee

dramaqueen: i did a 100% water change, added conditioner and used silk plants instead of plastic. i've also went out to get hikari bio gold pellets for him. he didn't even bother glancing at it whereas my crowntail spit it out a few times than ate it.

i have no clue what to do now. my friends are suggesting i should wait it out to get a halfmoon, but vieltail are my favourite.