Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2013, 02:25 AM   #1 
jadaBlu

Question If my girls finss are showing growth after antibiotics can they go in the sorority?

They've had about a week of antibiotics I can see fin growth. Can safely I assume the fin rot bacteria is gone and introduce them to my sorority?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #2 
Blue Fish

Not certain about fish, but in humans and mammals after a week of antibiotics the vast majority of bacterial infections are no longer contagious. (In most cases it's after about 48 hours.)

I'd say that if they're growing new, healthy fins, then the bacteria has been defeated. :)
I had *one* girl in my sorority get fin rot...and she was never QT'd (I thought the others were just nipping at her (and I thought she looked fine otherwise, so let them work it out rather than removing her), it took me about five days to realize she had fin rot...poor thing!), and no-one else came down with it. By the time I realized I just made sure to clean the water really well for a week and she cleared right up.

I know you keep your tanks really clean and well-organized, so your case sounds like it was more stubborn though if it needed antibiotics. But, I still say that if they're growing healthy fins, that I'd assume you're good to go. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #3 
jadaBlu

Thanks. I can't say it was stubborn I opted for antibiotics because it's not just two fish who will suffer with illness if it didn't clear up properly but also 16 others. I don't overuse antibiotics but with the sorority being new and the fish adjusting to new stresses I decided better safe than sorry. The remaining girls were supposed to go in at the same time as the other but they got sick even though their quarantine containers were kept changed and clean just like the others. Hopefully they will not have forgotten the other girls and won't go ballistic when I put them in. I will float them for a few days.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #4 
Blue Fish

I know how you feel, I've been more apt to use antibiotics in my sorority tank for just the same reason. They're under stress in there, and it definitely pays to just treat them aggressively rather than try to QT one at a time (because it never seems to fail that one will get it, then get better, then another will get it...) the way I would with my boys.

I've introduced new fish into the sorority (just jumped from seven to twelve the other day), and so far it's gone smoothly. :) They don't seem to fuss too much about it once they've been floated. :)

Good luck!!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote