Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2x/ day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1-2x/week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon betta plus, Stress Zyme

Water Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.2

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? yes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? yes
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? quarantine- aq salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no, but he's new (only have had him for 3 months)
How old is your fish (approximately)? ?? 4-5 months??

I have a male VT in a 5-gallon tank and just went away for the long weekend. When I got back the last 3rd of his tail is split/tattered looking (though not discolored/black) and half of his dorsal fin is gone. Looks like it was sheared or bitten off. This happened in 3 days and he was fine before then. Now he is much quieter (normally very active- hardly ever sitting still) and I have moved him to a bowl dosed with aquarium salt.

I assume this is tail or fin biting since it happened so fast??? He has been in the same tank with silk plants for 2-1/2 months now... this never happened before.
Water parameters are fine except that my tap water is very high PH (8.2). can high PH cause tail biting or stress??
peeptoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

Could he have caught it in the filter?

Can you post a photo?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #3 
peeptoad

Here is a picture of the bottom of the filter (intake) in the tank he was in:
http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums/...ps38d268aa.jpg

He's been in that tank for about 2 months and never even went near the filter (normally), but who knows?

He's in a bowl with aquarium salt right now and the photos I just tried to get were terrible, but the best I can describe it is his dorsal fin looks like it was either half bitten off or half sheared off. His tail looks ragged (but is not black/discolored, even at the edges) as if it was chewed by another fish, except that he's the only fish in there. It looks a bit like fin rot where the "webbing" of the tail is receding...but without the black discoloration.

I actually thought he was going to be dead when I woke up this morning. Last night when I got home he was lying on the bottom of the bowl, barely moving and wouldn't eat at all. This morning he looks slightly better, though still not good. He ate a tiny bit of food and is moving around the bowl more.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #4 
peeptoad

Will bump at the request of another poster, with some additional information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeptoad View Post
I made a thread earlier this week, but didn't get any responses... I can bump that other thread so I don't clutter up this one.
To answer your questions here (and then I will bump the other one):

1/2 gall tank you need to do daily water changes. Did you tried aquarium salt? he's been in a 1/2 gal hospital tank for 5 days with 100% daily water changes. Normally is in a 5-gal filtered tank. I have been using aq salt (1/2 tsp per 1/2 gal) daily with the water changes.
If you did then how much of it and how long? Been 5 days so far...
What is the temperature ? his normal tank is 78-80 degrees. The hospital tank is not heated, but has been in the mid-low 70s range all week.
What is the symptoms? terrible fin condition (look necrotic and his pelvic fins are almost gone), quiet/inactive and he occasionally "scratches" himself on the sides/bottom.
Is he eating? yes, but not like he normally does. He spits food out a lot. Not eating as much.
How long you go you bought him? he was given to me as a gift on July 14 this year.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

I would put him in his 5 gall tank so you can maintain the temperature. Don't put anything in the tank just the heater and the thermometer so you can monitor the temperature. Do not use the filter. Try to increase temperature gradually to 76 for now and then will see how he doing. Increase the temperature gradually about 1-2* in an hour. Also what you can do -heat the 5 gall tank up to 78* and put him in the container and let it float in the 5 gall heated tank. You can use also his hospital tank . If his hospital tank is heavy and sinking you can buy see through tupperware and stick the sides of it to the tank walls. Do what ever is easier for you , so you can do daily water changes(100%) Continue with the salt, don't stop. Increase the salt to 3tsp per gallon. Usually bettas scratching when they have external parasites.
Does he looks like the has white spots or looks like he has sprinkles with the salt? Or did he look like that before you treated him with salt?
Does he has white fluffy, cottony like strings or patches on his body ?
Shine the light on the betta’s body is it looks like it is covered with a fine gold or rust mist?
Is it possible for you to post the picture?
Sorry i have to log out but if you can give more details so we can figure out what is going on. I have problem with my computer and hopefully will figure out why,but i did ask someone else to help you.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #6 
OrangeAugust

Sounds like tail biting. My betta started tail biting after I had him for a few months and he continues to do it. Anyway, his fins were shredded-looking and then he would bite them short. He also bites his dorsal fin, anal fin, and ventral fins! He lets them grow back to a certain length- until they get too heavy- and then he trims them again. He's the betta in my user pic. His tail used to be epic like that but now it's always short and uneven.
Bettas tail bite for a few reasons- their fins are simply too heavy, boredom, or stress.
I have a feeling your fish might have been bored or stressed because no one was home for a few days.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #7 
peeptoad

Here is a picture where the rot on his pelvic fins is pretty clear. His dorsal and tail fins are not discolored/blackened like his pelvics (they are by far in the worst shape), but there is a chunk missing from his dorsal and the webbing in his tail is receding (though, again, not discolored.

apologies for the size of this pic. I took a quick one when I got home just now.

As for your other questions ANHEL123, I cannot see any white spots on him (ich). I just put a flashlight on him to check. I also cannot see anything that looks like gold rust or dust (though his coloration is a bit odd as you can see in the pic- his head is different color than his body, but he was that way when I got him). Definitely no fluffy, white patches either... it's possible I don;t know exactly what to look for though.

And thank you for your help... I really appreciate it.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #8 
peeptoad

Oh, I also did just increase the amount of salt and I will attempt to "float" the hospital tank (or something) in his tank to warm it. I am a little leery of doing this right now, mainly because I have to go out of town again this weekend (tomorrow overnight just one night and I'll be back on Sunday) and I don;t want him to re-injure himself (if that's what happened last weekend).
Old 09-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #9 
ANHEL123

He is not really looking as bad as i was think he is .
If you are leaving tomorrow you really can just lower the water in his 5 gall tank and just very gradually increase the temperature to 76*. I think it better this way at least you can maintain the temperature. Do not use the filter. If you can ,do it today so you can check it tomorrow and make sure the heater holding steady temperature. Or you can even do it tomorrow. Make sure you acclimate him to the new water temperature slowly. Do you need instructions on acclimation. You need acclimate him to make sure you don't shock him with drastic temperature difference.

He don't look like he has velvet or ich . I was thinking that he might has it because you wrote that he is scratching his body.

About aquarium salt you using it for 5 days i would continue to use it since you saying that he is lethargic. And increase it to 2tsp/gall with daily water change. Use it for 14 days.

You saying he is spitting out the food. Omega is the best recommended food on this forum but pellets not flakes though. Flakes are bad in general, and Omega flakes are just terrible IMO. I bought it once and those huge flakes , even when you crushed them are not really appetizing at all. If you have a chance buy Omega pellets or NLS pellets. And i would really recommend to buy frozen blood worms that are have a lot of protein in it and really good for the immune system.
The only problem that NLS are not floating pellets and sink to the bottom really fast , so if he is refusing them it will be difficult to feed him with NLS. Although with daily water changes it really ok though.
http://www.bigalspets.com/betta-form...lets-50-g.html

http://www.petco.com/product/116563/...FYSf4Aod01wA9Q

Last edited by ANHEL123; 09-06-2013 at 06:37 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #10 
peeptoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
He is not really looking as bad as i was think he is .
If you are leaving tomorrow you really can just lower the water in his 5 gall tank and just very gradually increase the temperature to 76*. I think it better this way at least you can maintain the temperature. Do not use the filter. If you can ,do it today so you can check it tomorrow and make sure the heater holding steady temperature. Or you can even do it tomorrow. Make sure you acclimate him to the new water temperature slowly. Do you need instructions on acclimation. You need acclimate him to make sure you don't shock him with drastic temperature difference.

He don't look like he has velvet or ich . I was thinking that he might has it because you wrote that he is scratching his body.

About aquarium salt you using it for 5 days i would continue to use it since you saying that he is lethargic. And increase it to 2tsp/gall with daily water change. Use it for 14 days.

You saying he is spitting out the food. Omega is the best recommended food on this forum but pellets not flakes though. Flakes are bad in general, and Omega flakes are just terrible IMO. I bought it once and those huge flakes , even when you crushed them are not really appetizing at all. If you have a chance buy Omega pellets or NLS pellets. And i would really recommend to buy frozen blood worms that are have a lot of protein in it and really good for the immune system.
The only problem that NLS are not floating pellets and sink to the bottom really fast , so if he is refusing them it will be difficult to feed him with NLS. Although with daily water changes it really ok though.
http://www.bigalspets.com/betta-form...lets-50-g.html

http://www.petco.com/product/116563/...FYSf4Aod01wA9Q
OK, thanks for your advice. I will do what you said with his tank (lower water/gradually acclimate him to temp difference), and continue the salt for another week (he's already been on salt for almost a week). Do you think it's ok if I give him a dose of Maracyn 2 if the salt doesn't seem to help? (despite the apparent "mildness" of the pic I posted I am starting to become concerned about his pelvic fins. One of them is rotted almost up to his body at this point).

About the food: I had a heck of a time getting this fish to eat when I first got him. He actually did not eat a stitch of food for the first 10-14 days I got him because I insisted that he eat Omega One pellets, which I know are among the best. He wouldn't even look at the pellets. So I tried a different brand, but he had the same reaction. It was only when I switched to Omega One flakes that he began to eat... so I stuck with those. He even still spits out the larger, "tougher" flakes, so he seems really picky about eating in general.
I will try bloodworms though because I think he would eat those (since they may be softer?). I read on another site they were no good because they could bring parasites into the water, but I will buy some over the weekend and see if he will eat them since you say they might help him.

Again, many thanks for you help...this fish was a gift and is my first, so I'm kind of in a "speed learning" fish hospital course here.