Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #31 
ANHEL123

Oh i am happy to hear it. Make sure you put right dosage every time you change the water though. Some medications And acclimate him slowly. Please give us update;)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #32 
peeptoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Oh i am happy to hear it. Make sure you put right dosage every time you change the water though. Some medications And acclimate him slowly. Please give us update;)
Will do. I just got home from being out overnight last night and he ate every piece of food I put in the tank, so keeping fingers crossed for him. :)
peeptoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #33 
peeptoad

I have another quick question (or maybe a couple):

1. How long after treating fin rot does it typically take to see new fin growth?

2. I am using Maracyn 2 and the instructions say not to use it for more than the 5-day course. Is it safe to use is longer? I have read a couple of other places that it should be used until new fin growth is visible (at least a few mm or 1/8" new growth).
Old 09-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #34 
ANHEL123

When is the last day of the Maracyn? And actually i am curious myself if you can continue for another course of it, so lets wait for LittleBlueFishlets to answer your question.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #35 
peeptoad

Quote:
When is the last day of the Maracyn? And actually i am curious myself if you can continue for another course of it, so lets wait for LittleBlueFishlets to answer your question.
The last day of the Maracyn course is today... I will wait for LittleBlueFishlets to chime in.

Thank you
Old 09-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #36 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hi Peeptoad,

1. How long after treating fin rot does it typically take to see new fin growth?

It depends on the fish, its overall health, and the severity of the rot.

As long as the fins aren't deteriorating further, I would consider them "healed." It can take time to see new growth.

I have guy that started to get new growth within days. I have another that needed closer to three months. (He's my high-maintenance fish, and has some health issues.)

2. I am using Maracyn 2 and the instructions say not to use it for more than the 5-day course. Is it safe to use is longer?

I wouldn't continue using it unless there was an active infection. (Ie: the fins were still rotting away.)

Medications are harsh on their systems. Maracyn 2 puts a lot of stress on the kidneys. Using it for long periods of time can start to lead to other, unintended, problems - such as kidney problems.

If he still has deteriorating fins after completing the 5 day treatment of Maracyn 2, I would make a decision:
a) If the Maracyn 2 was helping, but there was still an active infection and I thought it just needed a few more days of treatment, then I might do another cycle.
b) If the Maracyn 2 didn't help at all, I would probably try a different medication.
c) (or I would make some other decision, if the above didn't apply.)

I have read a couple of other places that it should be used until new fin growth is visible (at least a few mm or 1/8" new growth).

Do you have a source or reference for this? I've never heard of it.....

I wouldn't continue using a harsh medication beyond the point where it cured the infection. New fin growth can take quite awhile to show up, especially in a fish that's been stressed (by a new tank, an illness, etc).

IMO, treat for one cycle (5 days). Then reassess the situation.

If his fins aren't getting worse, then I would stop the antibiotic and just monitor him. As long as no additional rot appears, I would just wait and keep watching for new growth.

But, personally, I wouldn't use more medications unless I saw signs of an active infection or further rot.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:55 AM   #37 
peeptoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Hi Peeptoad,

It depends on the fish, its overall health, and the severity of the rot.

As long as the fins aren't deteriorating further, I would consider them "healed." It can take time to see new growth.

I have guy that started to get new growth within days. I have another that needed closer to three months. (He's my high-maintenance fish, and has some health issues.)

2. I am using Maracyn 2 and the instructions say not to use it for more than the 5-day course. Is it safe to use is longer?

I wouldn't continue using it unless there was an active infection. (Ie: the fins were still rotting away.)

Medications are harsh on their systems. Maracyn 2 puts a lot of stress on the kidneys. Using it for long periods of time can start to lead to other, unintended, problems - such as kidney problems.

If he still has deteriorating fins after completing the 5 day treatment of Maracyn 2, I would make a decision:
a) If the Maracyn 2 was helping, but there was still an active infection and I thought it just needed a few more days of treatment, then I might do another cycle.
b) If the Maracyn 2 didn't help at all, I would probably try a different medication.
c) (or I would make some other decision, if the above didn't apply.)

I have read a couple of other places that it should be used until new fin growth is visible (at least a few mm or 1/8" new growth).

Do you have a source or reference for this? I've never heard of it.....

I wouldn't continue using a harsh medication beyond the point where it cured the infection. New fin growth can take quite awhile to show up, especially in a fish that's been stressed (by a new tank, an illness, etc).

IMO, treat for one cycle (5 days). Then reassess the situation.

If his fins aren't getting worse, then I would stop the antibiotic and just monitor him. As long as no additional rot appears, I would just wait and keep watching for new growth.

But, personally, I wouldn't use more medications unless I saw signs of an active infection or further rot.
Thank you! This is all very helpful. I did another water change last night without the M2, so I think I will just try to keep his water as clean as possible and hope to see new growth soon. His pelvic fins have always looked a little strange to me (since I got him), they are very dark blue, with lighter color on the inside part, but I think this may just be normal for him. The fins are not receding to his body anymore, so I think the rot is not active right now- he just has some blackened tissue leftover from the infection.

The info I got about the fin growth and the medication just came from a google search. There was another messageboard, someone's blog, and maybe one other site I found that on, but I would have to look again.

Thanks again LBF! You and ANHEL123 were a big help!!
Old 09-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #38 
ANHEL123

Just wondering if he still refusing frozen food? It would really nice if he would it it, its will help to strength his immune system :)
Old 09-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #39 
peeptoad

Quote:
Just wondering if he still refusing frozen food? It would really nice if he would it it, its will help to strength his immune system :)
Unfortunately, yes, he is still refusing everything except for the Omega One flake food. Once I could tell he was feeling better I tried the Omega One pellets and the bloodworms again and he still has no interest in either of them. He is devouring the flakes when I put them in the tank though...so at least he is eating.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #40 
ANHEL123

Sound as a good plan. Keep us updated:)