Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #1 
AlfaTheBeta

possibly sick or over fed

tough guy has a white strand of poop stuck to his belly, its not very long probably 0.5-1.0 cm. i have not noticed a change in his behavior. I have been feeding him 3 hakari gold pellets in the morning and 3 at night. recently i bought him some freeze dried blood worms. two nights ago i gave him 3 blood worms instead of the pellets. i think he might be constipated, so today i am fasting him, is that a good idea? what could be wrong?
AlfaTheBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #2 
neenjar

Fasting him is a great idea. I fast mine once a week. If you have any freeze dried daphnia feed him that when you resume feeding schedule as it will help clean the pipes.

White stringy poop sounds like it may be internal parasites though, so watch him for a few days.

Your feeding schedule of 3 in morning, 3 in afternoon is fine. 1 fasting day a week is good for them too, lets things clean out. Do not feed bloodworms more than twice a week, they are a treat!
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #3 
AlfaTheBeta

sounds like a plan. where can i get daphnia? and what should i do if he has internal parasites?
Old 07-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #4 
neenjar

I order my hikari daphnia from ebay because no place local to me carries it.

For internal parasite I always start with a series of salt baths and water changes on his tank, if that does not knock it out then I would get a medicated food with Metronidazole as an active ingredient (pepso by jungle labs) as a last effort Maracyn-Two as it can treat internal issues.

Before you jump to medications watch him a few days, if poop returns to normal it is a false alarm.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:55 PM   #5 
AlfaTheBeta

I just spent about 5 minutes looking at him and i realized that his eyes are bigger than normal, so i came to the conclusion that he has popeye and something is wrong with him, i just dont know what.
i heard that popeye was not an illness, but it was a warning sign that the fish is sick, is that true?

p.s. sorry for asking so many questions
Old 07-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I feed mine freeze dried daphnia, bloodworms and brine shrimp once a week. They are fasted on Sunday then I follow up on Monday with daphnia.Wednesday they get one meal of brine shrimp and fridays they get one meal of bloodworms. The rest of the time they get pellets.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:41 AM   #7 
AlfaTheBeta

no mas popeye. and white poop is gone, he is getting bettafix for the week, seems to be doing better
Old 07-19-2009, 07:46 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad to hear that he's getting better.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #9 
AlfaTheBeta

day three of treatment, and he is back to his old self. he flared at me this morning. no popeye and no white poop, i think the fasting worked, but i am going to finish the treatment anyways just to make sure wat ever he had is gone
Old 07-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

That is a good idea to finish the treatment.