Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #1 
Trippshep

Wounded Betta

I recently bought a new betta, named Spec. He looked horrible in his little bowl. The water looked like it haden't been changed in a while. When I brought him home, I put him in a one gallon tank. And sat it on a shelf in my room. The shelf ended up falling and if I am not mistaken, he has been cut on his head. I need advice on what to do. I do not have a hospital tank and I can't get one. He is currently in a one gallon. I change his water every other day and keep it a little warmer than my other betta's water.
Trippshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #2 
TakingthePlunge

He needs clean water every day to prevent infection. A one gallon tank is often used as a hospital tank, so he's fine in that, as long as there are no other critters in there with him (like snails, or shrimp). If you have aquarium salt, or epsom salt (without perfume or dyes), both will help some to prevent infection. Typical dosage would be about 1 tsp of either one, but not both. Is Spec eating okay? Has his behavior changed at all?
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:32 AM   #3 
Trippshep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingthePlunge View Post
He needs clean water every day to prevent infection. A one gallon tank is often used as a hospital tank, so he's fine in that, as long as there are no other critters in there with him (like snails, or shrimp). If you have aquarium salt, or epsom salt (without perfume or dyes), both will help some to prevent infection. Typical dosage would be about 1 tsp of either one, but not both. Is Spec eating okay? Has his behavior changed at all?
I have been putting some aquarium salt in there. I wasn't sure of the dosage needed, so I would just put a pinch full in there.
He just sit's on the bottom of the tank almost all day, sometimes he swims, but he seems to be having a really hard time. I am weird and I love to watch my betta's almost all day, so I can usually tell when one is swimming wrong. He seems like he has a very hard time carrying his body weight. His fins move very very fast. With my other betta's they just seems to float.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #4 
soundwave

Do you dissolve the salt in tankwater before putting it in the tank?

I'd do daily water changes instead of 2 day changes. Other than that, it sounds like you're doing everything right. Oh and don't use salt for longer than 14 days. Prolonged use can hurt their kidneys.
soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #5 
sainthogan

Also, is your tank heated? They are tropical and warm, clean water is the best for healing cuts, abrasions, torn fins, etc.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #6 
Trippshep

Soundwave; I haven't. Should I ?
Sainthogan; I was told putting a heater in a one gallon would cook the fish. When I change his water, I use sightly warmer water than I use when changing my other betta's water.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #7 
xShainax

You won't cook him. I have two one gallon tanks and the heaters I have in them heat up the water enough that it isn't cold.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #8 
Trippshep

Sadly, Spec fought his last battle tonight.
SIP Spec <3
Old 09-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #9 
Graceful

So sorry for your loss. :(
Graceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #10 
TakingthePlunge

My sympathies for your fishie.
TakingthePlunge is offline   Reply With Quote