Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #11 
InfiniteGlory

around 10pm I pulled the towel off and he was at the bottom again. I fed him about 4-5 pellets and he didn't see to have much trouble getting them after they sank. But he wanted nothing to do with them while on the surface. So I did a 50% WC with 1 tsp of epsom salt to 1 gallon.

I can't tell if he still upset for not being in his tank or still having trouble. I haven't seen him go vertical tonight but will watch him tomorrow. What type of WC do I need to do tomorrow? Just a standard 1 gallon change or something else?
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

You could probably do a 50% water change, so he can remain in the tank.

Dissolve 1 teaspoon Epsom salt into 1 gallon of water that's at the same temp as your tank. Add conditioner. Do a 50% water change using this premixed treatment water.

It can take a day or two for the Epsom salt to work.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #13 
InfiniteGlory

Today when I got home he was at the bottom near the heater and airstone. But tonight he was sleeping in the log and leaning up against the side of it. guess he is still mad at me.

How can I tell if he is over his SDB? I would like to put him back into his tank so that he can stop being mad at me.

I will do the 50% WC tonight with the 1 tsp epsom salt to one gallon mix.

Last edited by InfiniteGlory; 09-05-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #14 
InfiniteGlory

Just did a 50% WC using 1 tsp epsom salt to one gallon of water with Prime mixture. He swam down from his log to the bottom while I did the WC. Afterwards he seemed to have trouble to stay upright because it seemed that he always wanted to lean over and lay on his side. He also only ate 3 out of 6 pellets. No more floating head and tail down at least.

If he doesn't get better by tomorrow should I try some medication? Suggestions?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #15 
LittleBlueFishlets

1) How many days has he been in the Epsom salt now?

2) He had fin rot. Is that gone now? (It doesn't sound like you used any medication, is that correct?)

3) He's not bloated. He's been eating (but had a bit less yesterday). Is that correct?

4) Is he having trouble swimming still? Or just staying upright when he rests? (It sounds like he has better control over his buoyancy now though. Correct?)

It doesn't sound to me like he's having a parasitical issue. Since he had fin rot, it's possible there's something bacterial going on though.

If he's happier in the big tank, you could try putting him back in there to see how he reacts. (If needed, just move him back to the QT tank.) Could you put him in the big tank, with a slightly lowered water level? This would allow him to go back home, but he could reach the surface more easily.

Also, you can put plastic food wrap (Saran/Glad wrap) over the top of the tank. This will increase the humidity level, and make it easier for him to breathe. This often has a calming/soothing effect, too. Be sure to leave several inches of air for him to breathe though!

Do you have access to mosquito larvae? If so, rinse off several with a little tank water, and feed them to him. (I use a turkey baster to suck them up.)
Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #16 
InfiniteGlory

1) How many days has he been in the Epsom salt now?
Started treatment on Sept. 3

2) He had fin rot. Is that gone now? (It doesn't sound like you used any medication, is that correct?)
It's pretty much gone. His fins have the new white growth where the fin rot was

3) He's not bloated. He's been eating (but had a bit less yesterday). Is that correct?
From what I can tell he is not bloated. I'm about to feed him soon so we will see how much he eats

4) Is he having trouble swimming still? Or just staying upright when he rests? (It sounds like he has better control over his buoyancy now though. Correct?)
I have not seen him go head up tail down in a few days. But when he stops swimming he starts to fall over. He has seldom gone up to his log in the past few days. Can't tell if something is still wrong or if he is sulking

It doesn't sound to me like he's having a parasitical issue. Since he had fin rot, it's possible there's something bacterial going on though.
I have some Tetracycline on hand from before. I used it the first time back in March when he got fin rot the very first time

If he's happier in the big tank, you could try putting him back in there to see how he reacts. (If needed, just move him back to the QT tank.) Could you put him in the big tank, with a slightly lowered water level? This would allow him to go back home, but he could reach the surface more easily.
Yes, I can lower the water level and watch him. I will feed first then move so that I can be sure he has eaten something just in case he gets stressed. Not to mention I redid his tank so I am not sure how he is going to react.

Also, you can put plastic food wrap (Saran/Glad wrap) over the top of the tank. This will increase the humidity level, and make it easier for him to breathe. This often has a calming/soothing effect, too. Be sure to leave several inches of air for him to breathe though!
I have a lid and it keeps the moisture in pretty well. Everytime I open the feeding door or remove the lid there is always condensation that runs off.

Do you have access to mosquito larvae? If so, rinse off several with a little tank water, and feed them to him. (I use a turkey baster to suck them up.)
I may have some standing water out bac. Never tried to cultivate the larvae but I will give it a go.
[/quote]
Old 09-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #17 
LittleBlueFishlets

OK.... I would keep him in Epsom salt another day. It sounds like he's improving. And another day of Epsom salt may help with the remaining buoyancy issues.

I would hold off on medications for now. It sounds like he's improving. Medications are harsh, and can have side effects of their own. Give the Epsom salt another day, and reassess the situation after tomorrow.

It sounds like you have everything else under control. Give us an update tomorrow, or before that if something changes.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #18 
InfiniteGlory

I did another epsom salt WC last will try and put him back in his tank tomorrow. Do I need to do anything to prepare him for going back into his tank? Like do a 25% WC every 15 minutes with his regular tank water?

He ate 6 pellets last night and was still trying not to fall over.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #19 
LittleBlueFishlets

Doing a partial water change every 15 min with his regular tank water is an EXCELLENT way to prepare him for the move back! Great thinking!

So he ate 6 pellets.... He's not bloated.... He has no trouble swimming or with his buoyancy.... But he just falls over from time to time.... (Silly betta fish. )

It sounds like he may just have a minor swim bladder issue. I don't recognize any evidence of bacterial or parasitical infection, based on the symptoms.

Let's see how he does once he's back in the big tank.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #20 
InfiniteGlory

We are going over to another family members house for the afternoon. So I may be able to move him later tonight and if not then tomorrow.

I just peaked under the towel and he was up in his log. as soon as he saw me he swam down to the same spot again near the heater and air stone. So that is his 'safe' spot i guess.