Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #1 
BearFish96

Worker Has No Idea Of Fish

So, I went to get some Neon Tetras for my betta today at Pet Valu. (Yes, at my pet valu they have pets, I don't know why but they do). When I went to get some, a guy who worked there told me some serious misinformation. This was worse than total bs this guy sounded absolutely clueless. Here some of the things that he said:

"Betta fish will instantly kill any other fish that comes in their tank including Neon Tetras. You cannot put any other fish in a betta tank."

"Neon Tetras need to be heated to 75-80 degrees, and that is terrible for your Betta fish."

"Even if you get some plants for Neon Tetras to hide in, that will do nothing. The betta fish will still swim in and eat the fish."

Obviously, I bought the fish anyway. The guy said that it was animal cruelty if I was just going to buy fish so other fish could kill them, and gave me a dirty look as I left the store. I told him "No offense, but I think you should research betta fish some more." He told me that he was a 'fish expert' and that he knew what he was talking about.

I feel sad for all the fish under his care.
BearFish96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Bettas will not instantly kill other fish. It depends on their personality. Some do fine with tankmates and some don't. However, some bettas will eat neons. I had one years ago that did that. I have no idea where they get the idea that bettas don't need heat. Don't they realize that bettas are tropical fish? Good for you, telling him he needed to do more research!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #3 
Starbright

Wow that's pretty messed up :P tell him to come on this forum!! Although, my female betta killed a neon tetra right when she saw him :/ his whole tail was in her mouth >.<'

How's your betta acting with those neons? You should take a picture and to back and show him your success xD
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:21 PM   #4 
BakaMandy

Yeah, it's pretty common to find such arrogant employees at pet stores ~_~

When I bought all my stuff for my fish, they asked me what I was putting into it and I was like "Betta fish :D" and they were totally like "lol wtf do you need a big tank for? You don't need this much, you're just wasting money." and I was like ":D No I'm not."

Sometimes I just like hanging out in the betta fish section of the pet store in the mall that I work in on my breaks and when people come over to them and go "Oh they look dead!" I'm just like "Actually they're just really lethargic because their water temperature is too low." and they're like "Oh?" and I give them a mini betta lesson xD;;; It's was interesting cause at least 75% of the people I talked to had or have betta fish as pets and knew nothing about them. Whether they took my advice or not, I don't know 8| But I'm tempted to print out cards with this website address on it and give it to them.

I'd try and get a job at the pet store, but the boss lady is a real arrogant biatch. She wouldn't hire my mom when she applied there once because my mom knew more about animals than she did =_=;; I'm pretty sure she already dislikes me for giving those little lessons lol.

Last edited by BakaMandy; 07-18-2009 at 11:23 PM.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:17 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I talked to a girl at Petsmart once who was looking at the bettas and I asked her how often she fed her betta and she said, oh, I throw about 5 or 6 pellets in once or twice a week. " Then I asked her how often she changed the water and she says, once every 6 months!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:22 AM   #6 
BearFish96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbright View Post
Wow that's pretty messed up :P tell him to come on this forum!! Although, my female betta killed a neon tetra right when she saw him :/ his whole tail was in her mouth >.<'

How's your betta acting with those neons? You should take a picture and to back and show him your success xD
Well, considering your experience I am going to test how my fish react to tankmates. If he gets along with the Tetra I am going to put in (or if he dosen't eat it lol) i'm going to try putting all of the 5 of them in. If he dosn't I think i'm going to just keep them in a seperate tank because they look pretty cool :D
Old 07-19-2009, 12:28 AM   #7 
BakaMandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I talked to a girl at Petsmart once who was looking at the bettas and I asked her how often she fed her betta and she said, oh, I throw about 5 or 6 pellets in once or twice a week. " Then I asked her how often she changed the water and she says, once every 6 months!
Oh god D'B That's just... urgh ~_~ Some people... hearing that makes me so sad.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:43 AM   #8 
BearFish96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaMandy View Post
Oh god D'B That's just... urgh ~_~ Some people... hearing that makes me so sad.

Ugh, I know. I asked the guy at the store how often I should clean my tank. He asked me how big the tank was. I told him 10 gallons. He told me I should have to change the water MONTHLY.

Pardon my leetspeak but this guy defines the words epic fail.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:55 AM   #9 
BakaMandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearFish96 View Post
Ugh, I know. I asked the guy at the store how often I should clean my tank. He asked me how big the tank was. I told him 10 gallons. He told me I should have to change the water MONTHLY.

Pardon my leetspeak but this guy defines the words epic fail.
Lol well that actually sounds almost about right. Maybe once every two weeks for a 10 gallon, and you can probably even stretch that a little bit longer if you have a filter. xD Bigger tanks don't require water changes as often.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:19 AM   #10 
BearFish96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaMandy View Post
Lol well that actually sounds almost about right. Maybe once every two weeks for a 10 gallon, and you can probably even stretch that a little bit longer if you have a filter. xD Bigger tanks don't require water changes as often.

He may be right, but the thing that bugs me is the WAY he said it. He said it like "Wow ten gallon i'd say.......well.....maybe 6...no, 12.......hmmmm............................." Halfway through the pausing I counted the second's he'd been silent. 15 seconds. Then he said "Well i'd say about.................monthly I guess." Like he had just been asked to yodle in French.