Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #1 
TaraHanon

No good....

I think my betta will not make it overnight. He has a white film on the top of his head and on his tail. I have him in his own tank now and have treated him with Jungle Fungus Eliminator. I have the heater in there to keep the water warm but he is just sitting at the bottom of the tank.... not moving. I just go home from visiting my mom and thought he was already a goner. But he moved when I looked in to see... Is there anything else I can do for him? If he goes it will be sad for my son, he's two and already gets upset when the other fishys go.... But I will replace him if I need to.

All the other fish in the tank seem to be doing fine aside from the filter loving white clouds. They don't make it out alive...

Thanks
TaraHanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #2 
neenjar

I'd stick with JFE and water changes, and my personal favorite salt baths! But if he is covered in white cotton looking film definitely keep up the JFE. It may be excess slime coating as well that causes dehydration.. yes it sounds silly as fish live in water, but if their slime coating gets too thick they dehydrate.

I'm willing to bet fungal infection though. JFE, 100% daily water changes of the medication tank and some salt baths.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #3 
TaraHanon

Thank you so much. I'll be changing his water as soon as I get home from work. This morning he was laying on the heater-its on a slant- with his nose sticking out of the water. The white stuff seems to be coming off but he still just lays there. I almost thought he was gone this morning becasue he didn't even move when I move the tank over... But he blew some bubbles at me.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #4 
Angelmonster

Do as Neenjar said. Also watch out for his scales poping up. If this happens then it means he has Dropsy. When they have dropsy white mucus will escreet from his/her scales and there is no cure for that. All in all it is probably an infection and if your Betta is aliv ein 15 days it is not dropsy(dropsy will attack their liver and kill them within a few days).

Just wait two weeks to put your betta back in a community tank
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #5 
TaraHanon

I just got a call from home.... He's gone...
Old 07-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about your fish! RIP Kiki.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #7 
TaraHanon

Thanks guys. I am going to transport all my fishies to the 5 gallon on Friday and scrub out the big one, get it all cleaned up so no one else gets sick.

I lost another white cloud too. Them things like the filter I swear!

I may go looking for another Betta on Saturday... My son is already looking for Kiki
Old 07-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #8 
neenjar

White clouds end up in the filter because it has the highest current, they really like stronger current. Some sort of diffuser is needed to keep them out of the filter. Or a power head in the bottom to create a strong current in the tank, which the betta will not like.

Sorry about Kiki :(

Last edited by neenjar; 07-20-2009 at 07:20 PM.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #9 
TaraHanon

I have a sponge in the bottom so nothing gets sucked in, but apparently they still stick to it. The corys like playing in the current from the top. It fun to watch.