Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #1 
AprilBird4

reoccuring issue

Trying to figure out how to explain this thoroughly without writing a novel.

The reoccuring issue is the betta canít swim level, has head up with tail down. Will seem to be struggling to swim, like the tail is weighted down. Eventually he canít stay up and will languish on the bottom and eventually he dies. Iíve had about 4 bettas in the last year that have succumb to this. ButÖ.

I have had successfully kept other bettas for a couple of years. I had a male for over 2 years until my daughter helped with the water change and I didnít realize she put tap water in the holding container. Our current female we have also had for over 2 years. This other set up is the same. I use the same water. It is the same basic betta tank. The first betta was fine for 5-6 months before this issue started so I wouldnít think it was the tank being contaminated and I donít know what would have changed. The issue has occurred more quickly with the subsequent bettas. Sometimes a week or 2, too long (I would think) for there to be an issue with the water or the tank. Sometimes within a few days, which seems too long for it to be the water, but too soon to be my care.

I use Prime and keep treated water in gallon containers for water changes. Same water I use for my female in the other tank. I do daily or every other day water changes. I clean the tank weekly. I rinse good with plain water, wipe it down with clean paper towel and then rinse again. Iíve never used soap or chemicals. Iíve tried putting the water in the tank and then treating it with Betta plus instead of Prime and letting it sit for 24 hours before putting the fish back in. I thought maybe I was putting the water up too high, but that didnít help.

I donít know what the issue is or what I need to be checking. They all have the same symptoms.
AprilBird4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #2 
Briz

What kind of food are you feeding and how much/often?
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote