Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #1 
Vikki81207

Question White speckles

So I noticed the other day that Fishy had some white speckles on his fins. The ones that move alot when he swims, the pectoral or something. But when I put the JFC in the water, he seemed okay. I woke up this morning and noticed that they're back. He's got white speckles all on the tips of those fins. Should I be worried. Any idea what it might be? Do I need a different treatment? Thanks for any help guys.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #2 
neenjar

Do the speckles look like salt crystals? If so it is Ich. JFC will not do the job, you will want something with malachite green in it to kill the ich and need to treat for about 14 days. Even after the spots are gone, keep treating, the spots going away means the have fallen off the fish to reproduce, every time that happens they come back with even more.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #3 
Angelmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki81207 View Post
So I noticed the other day that Fishy had some white speckles on his fins. The ones that move alot when he swims, the pectoral or something. But when I put the JFC in the water, he seemed okay. I woke up this morning and noticed that they're back. He's got white speckles all on the tips of those fins. Should I be worried. Any idea what it might be? Do I need a different treatment? Thanks for any help guys.
Now that youa re saying they ar eon the fish then it is Ich. You have to buy special medication like neenjar said. Also raise the termperature of the water to about 80 because Ic will actually get off the fish to go reproduce if the water is warm enough and the medication will then kill it.

Important" Like neenjar said I would keep up with treatments for a few weeks, possibly a month. Use the dosage the bottle says. Ich is annoying to get rid of and make sur eif you have other fish that if you handle ANYTHING in this tank that you wash your hands thoroughly under warm water before touching the next tank!
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #4 
neenjar

The only good thing about Ich is, once a fish has had and survived it, they build up a string resistance to it! Much like people and chicken pox.

They can get it again, but odds are likely that if Ich enters the tank again the fish will be immune.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #5 
Vikki81207

Ugh okay. I'll have to wait till I can get some money. Hopefully he'll be okay. Thanks guys. I'm def looking into new meds.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #6 
Vikki81207

Anybody have any recommendations on which medication to use? I want to go out and get something for him tomorrow. Does Jungle Ick Guard Ick Remedy work? Anybody ever used it? I just don't want to waste my money on something that won't work.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't know how well any of these work but I got a list from Healthybetta.com. You can use Maracide by Mardel Labs, Coppersafe by Mardel Labs, Jungle Ick Guard or Clout by Aquarium Products. Hope this helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #8 
Vikki81207

Thanks Drama. I think all Walmart has is the Jungle Ick Guard and the only place I can get to is Walmart. So I'm gonna go with that and pray that it works.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I hope it works for you. Good luck.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #10 
neenjar

Jungle Ick guard is a good choice. Coppersafe is toxic to fish with prolonged exposure. 81 degrees is the optimal temp for ich treatment, and remember to treat for at least 14 days.