Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #1 
kailey11293

Question Tiny White Creatures in Tank!!

Okay i've had my betta and it's tank for about a year now.
Well today when i was cleaning the tank up a bit i noticed that there were these white creatures all over the tank walls. I thought that they were just left over food sticking too the walls but after watching them for just a few seconds i saw that they were swimming around and moving !!!They are very tiny and all white, does anyone know what they may be and if they are harming my fish in any way?
kailey11293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:51 AM   #2 
neenjar

Sounds like some sort of larva, I would get them out of the tank.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #3 
Angelmonster

Probably bug larva. It sucks because this will kill your cycle but get the betta out and clean the tank fully, everything, with hot water and vinegar. Rince the tank a few times. Then give your fish a salt bath to make sure none of them ar eon your betta. That should get rid of them as long as you clean EVERYTHING(gravel, decor, filter etc etc).
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #4 
Ajsim

could be hydra's or if they look like a small worm planaria. If you use google you can see some pics of both pests... If the tank is small it's probably best to clean it, but you can keep the water though...
Ajsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #5 
kailey11293

Okay i'll clean my tank and my brothers.
I dont have any aquarium salt so i may have to wait on the salt bath but i'll make sure that both tanks get really clean.

The only signs of illness that i have noticed is on my brothers fish, he seems to be in the early development stage of popeye. Is this due to the larva?
kailey11293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #6 
Ajsim

popeye is a bacterial infection in or behind the eye of the fish and can occure when the immune system of the fish is weakend by something like bad water quality, stress and so on. If it has something to do with the white critters in your tank i don't know for shure, but i don't think so.
Ajsim is offline   Reply With Quote