Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2009, 07:00 AM   #1 
FancifulFish

Red face BiOrb tanks...

I'm new to the whole betta fish world, and would like to set up a tank in my classroom. I've been looking at the BiOrb tanks. For those of you who use one, how are they? Thanks to everyone in advance. It's greatly appreciated.
FancifulFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:08 AM   #2 
onefish2fish

off the top of my head, i believe these are the either come in round or cylinder models that hold a few gallons and go for a handsome ammount of cash, correct?
i dont have personal experience with this tank because the price tag alone keeps me far away but they have a pretty nice look to them. dont get me wrong, if this is what your going for- dont let me stray you away.
if i was in your shoes i would pick up a reg. old 5 or 10 gallon tank which can be found cheap new and even cheaper ( or free ) on www.craigslist.com and then do a "fishless cycle" prior to adding any fish ( which im going to guess is going to be a betta ) if you have any questions on cycling a tank, or any others please feel free to ask.
welcome to the forum.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #3 
FancifulFish

BiOrb Tanks...

I have also been looking at the 5 and 10 gallon regular aquariums. I know that the BiOrbs can be rather costly. I was looking at them at their website, as well as when I was in PETCO yesterday afternoon.

(You just have to love these smilies)
Old 07-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #4 
neenjar

I think they are alot of money for what they are. The 5.5 gallon I have my guys in cost just a few dollars more to setup and I have a much better heater and far superior filtration.

You can set one up for less than a bio orb with better filtration too. I was just very picky and went all marineland products. They are pricey, but you get what you pay for with them, and their bio wheels are unmatched in performance once cycled.

The bio orbs are very slick looking though! I did consider one, but I hate undergravel filters with a passion.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #5 
Angelmonster

Though the design of the bioorb is excellent, the tank is a horrible tank. The opening at the top is way too small for heater cords and the shape looks nice but it does warp the shape of the fish, since it is round glass.

http://www.petco.com/product/2398/Ma...ystem-Six.aspx

That tank, at Petco, is both better and cheaper. It comes with a hood with a light and a superior filter. This tank is basically miantenance free and easy to get a gravel vac into. I own three of these at home and if I ever want to get anothe rone I will be purchasing this!
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #6 
neenjar

The Eclipse systems are great! I have setup several over the years in people office for them. Go go Bio Wheel filters!
Old 07-24-2009, 12:58 PM   #7 
Ajsim

Also, keep in mind that these bowls are made of acrylic, not glass. They scratch very easily when you clean them and after some time the acrylic can get a bit misty... I prefer glass tanks!
Ajsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #8 
neenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajsim View Post
I prefer glass tanks!
Me 3
Old 07-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #9 
FancifulFish

I do like the one featured in the posted PETCO link. It's very nice, and I think that I'll go take a look this weekend. I haven't been in PET SMART yet, so I guess I'll make a stop there as well. Thank you for all the advice. I certainly want to do what's best for the fish. I appreciate it.

Last edited by FancifulFish; 07-24-2009 at 01:36 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #10 
dr2b

I love Marineland tanks! My filter system so super quiet. Sometimes I don't even know it is running because it is so quiet. I think the BiOrbs are way to expensive IMHO.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote