Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2009, 04:48 AM   #1 
eMel

Planning my 6-gallon world

Greetings, Bettamaniacs!

I am currently in the planning stages for a tank for my future Betta. I currently have a six gallon tank on the way ( here it is: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3635550 ) and along with adding various little places for him or her (I haven't decided yet) to hide, I am pondering tank-mates. My research thus far has pointed me at an Apple Snail and a Cory Cat. Considering Cats stay pretty small, would two or three be sufficient for happiness on their part?

Also, I was pondering the order of tank introduction. What I mean is, who enters the aquarium first. I had seen a post on this board from someone seeing their Betta chase their Cory round and round, nibbling them. Would reversing the order, with the snail and Cat first and the Betta last, perhaps tone down territorial aggressiveness? Or might it just be the same with the Betta moving in to assert him or herself?

Well, I look forward to being educated!

eMel
eMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #2 
neenjar

Corys are best kept in groups of 3 or larger, a single may get a bit stressed being alone.

As far as to which to add first, that will depend on the personality of the betta. The betta will not care who was the first, once introduced to the tank it is his, period. Some betta will do well with tank mates, others not so much. the only way to find out is to try.

3 corys, a betta, and a snail will be overstocked in that 6 gallon. It can be done as it has a biowheel filter, but you must stay on top of the water changes or things can go wrong fast. I have run overstocked tanks for years and it is fine as long as you do not get lazy and do you part. 25% water change at least once a week, twice is better.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

A note about snails: Snails need high levels of calcium, ph and kh which make bettas prone to finrot and bacterial infections.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #4 
Angelmonster

Plus adding a snail means more clean up because their bio load is almost double a bettas >_>
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #5 
eMel

Thank you for the replies! Perhaps a few ghost shrimp would be better tank mates, with less likelihood of overstocking since they're so tiny? And I kinda figured the Betta would take over upon introduction, I had just hoped he or she might be a bit shy upon entering a populated tank. lol

So is there any real difference between the genders as far as how they interact with other species?

eMel
Old 07-22-2009, 10:21 PM   #6 
rb500

I think females are just slightly less agressive.
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:46 AM   #7 
eMel

I went over my plans and decided for what I want, it would be better to go with a 12-gallon tank. That way, the betta and pals will have room to their thing while I get to have room to decorate their new world.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:52 AM   #8 
Clarke

If you have a 12-gallon you should have no problem keeping a betta, 3 cory cats and 3 or 4 neon tetras.
Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #9 
sweetviolets

I got a blue ramshorn snail. I had read up on compatibility. Everywhere I read states it depends on the betta. My betta is playful and never flared at all. I thought he would be fine. I put my beautiful new snail in with my supposedly docile betta. Two nights later my snail was eaten. The betta ate the whole flesh part and left the shell floating. The snail has left eggs already. (The snail was in the tank for a week as my betta was sick in another tank) I know the betta will eat most of the eggs, but I am hoping to get a few snails and put them in their own tank. They are such beautiful creatures and interesting to watch.

I don't know why I got attached to the little snail so fast. I know that it's in the fish's nature to do what he did. I just feel so mad at the fish. It's almost like I wish I could get a new betta. I feel so silly being attached to these tiny creatures.

Last edited by sweetviolets; 07-28-2009 at 01:13 PM.
sweetviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:27 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, you're right, it IS the fish's nature to eat snails and other fish so don't be too mad at him. lol I'm so sorry you lost your little snail but maybe you can save some of the eggs.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote