Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #1 
Chucklesjk

Question Can I add epsom salt to tank with meds in it?

My fish has been dealing with fin rot since I bought him. I have tried daily water changes and then medicine to no avail. Then I discovered that my water was so high in ammonia. After getting the ammonia problem under control I did daily water changes for a week hoping that having good clean water would help, nope! So now I am trying the Jungle Fungus Clear again. He's been in for about 24 hours now and I know that I may not see improvement right away, however he looks worse today. He is a little bloated this afternoon and when he is sitting still he floats sideways. There is no sign of pineconing yet. Is it okay to add Epsom salt with this medicine? Thanks for any help.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Bubbler
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta pellets, he had been bloating on omega one pellets so I finally just stopped trying those
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day with one to two pellets depending in the size. He bloats very easily.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? For the last ten days I have done 50% changes daily and last night I did a 100% change before adding the meds
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.6
Hardness: hard to very hard
Alkalinity: 120-180

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bloated again and floating sideways when sitting still
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not swimming as much today and when he does it's rather quick movements back and forth
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I got home from work this morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Been in water with Jungle Fungus Clear for 24 hours
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, bloating numerous times, has had fin rot since I bought him
How old is your fish (approximately)? Don't know exactly, but pretty positive he's pretty young
Chucklesjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #2 
Chucklesjk

I will keep trying to post a pic. All I have is my phone for Internet and it apparently does not like to cooperate when I seem to need it most.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #3 
rickey
Banned

" Is it okay to add Epsom salt with this medicine?"

It will have an affect on the medication.
My question is why Epsom salt (magnesium sulphate)? you all ready have a very high gH (Alkalinity 120-180) So why add to it.

This is most likely internal bacterial infection so kind and I would start on medicated food that has a broad-spectrum antibiotic in it.

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #4 
Chucklesjk

Ok, any suggestions on medicated food that would work best? Thank you!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #5 
summersea

I have been working with chucklesjk since we bought the fish over a month ago to heal the little guy.

We are wondering about the Epsom salt since we had read that it is a treatment for SBD since it helps with their bouyancy. Since Buddy sometimes cannot stay upright, we thought this would be beneficial for him. However we are concerned with using it with Jungle Fungus Clear.

If we can only use one, which would be the best for him to be on now?
summersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #6 
rickey
Banned

If I remember right Jungle Fungus Clear has a antibiotic in it. But you really need to get the antibiotic in the fish's system, not just a bath. I know Jungle makes an antibiotic food but in 20 year of rising fancy goldfish I have never seen on eat it. I generally make my own food. tou can get the antibiotic from Dr Foster and Smith web site non prescription. I done normal recommend people use antibiotics but in this case I see little hope without them.

Rick
Old 09-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #7 
Chucklesjk

This may seem like a silly question but could I soak his pellets in his aquarium water with the medicine in it and feed him that?

I also found on the website that Kanaplex can be added to frozen paste food. Is this the medicine/food you were talking about? Maybe I just overlooked it, but I could not find any medicated foods.

I am beginning to feel very overwhelmed with this little fish. I just want to do what is right for him and hopefully it help him get better. I have become pretty attached to this little guy and would be heart broken if he died on me after all this. Thank you for your help Rickey!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #8 
rickey
Banned

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anti-Bacte...c-Pets/4252998

rick
Old 09-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yes, you can use Epsom salt with an antibiotic like Jungle Fungus Clear.

Epsom salt has a laxative and fluid reducing effect. It should help with any buoyancy issues, bloating or constipation.

Jungle Fungus Clear contains two furan medications that will treat gram negative external bacterial infections.

Can you post a photo so we can see the extent of the fin rot? Most often, all that's need to clear up fin rot is simply clean, warm water and good nutrition.

So he bloats on the Omega One but not the Aqueon? Interesting. Most times, the reverse occurs. Have you tried New Life Spectrum pellets? Fish seem to tolerate this brand well.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #10 
Chucklesjk

I finally got a photo to load! This was from a few days ago and luckily he looks the same as far as fin rot goes.

I have been doing daily 50% changes for the last ten days thinking that would help clear up the fin rot. And while it hadn't gotten any worse it made no improvements either, so that is why I chose to try medicine. And I just had the jungle medicine on hand and went with that.

I was surprised that he bloated on the omega one pellets too. I would give him only one(he is a very small fish) and break it into pieces and he would still bloat. I had had better luck with the Aqueon pellets, but he will still occasionally bloat with those, just not as bad. Now I am not sure if he is bloating because of just the food or if it's a culmination of all his problems. I have not tried NLS yet, but perhaps I should.
Attached Images