MichelleA

Fin Rot?

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80-82
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Had 5 Amano shrimp but they all died within one week of getting them. Last one died a few days ago. : (

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffett
How often do you feed your betta fish? two or three pellets twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once or twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon water conditioner and Api stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? yes

Ammonia: between 0-25ppm, more 25ppm the last few days but i have been getting 0 readings for two or three weeks before this!
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.8-8
Hardness: 16.8
Alkalinity: 16.8

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The tail fin looks like its rotting, no discoloration though.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None
When did you start noticing the symptoms? On and off since we got him. It heals then gets bad again
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Increased water changes, more stress coat
Does your fish have any history of being ill? If this counts as ill then yes
How old is your fish (approximately)? got him from a meijer or walmart a few months back. Maybe 1 year

The most recent change is the shrimp and them dying off. I also have added some moss balls in hope of lowering the ph..... but it has maybe went down to 7.8 instead of 8.... Ive also removed this horribly stinky dinasoar head. it was literally stinking up my tank. Smelled terribly of chemicals and was growing algae on it. Took that out last week. It is only affecting his tail right now but ive never seen it this bad and am starting to worry. Its been an ongoing issue whatever it is since we got him. Heres a few pictures

Name:  DSCF1071.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  DSCF1074.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  DSCF1077.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  57.4 KB

Last edited by MichelleA; 08-30-2013 at 08:22 AM.
MichelleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #2 
Paper

That looks like fin rot, definitely. It's most likely been getting much worse recently because of the ammonia in the tank. I would suggest moving him to a quarantine tank and treating it with API aquarium salt. The quarantine tank is important here because you don't know if the salt may harm your plant species.

1tsp of salt per gallon should do the trick. The quarantine tank can be a fish bowl, it's usually suggested to be between 1-3 gallons because it's easier to dose the salt. For example, if you have a 1 gal quarantine tank, you'd fill it with clean, de-chlorinated water that's the same temp as your tank water. Remove some water from the q tank with a glass. Move you betta to the q tank. Add 1tsp of salt to the glass of water. Wait until it dissolves. Stirring helps.

Every 10 minutes or so, add a spoonful of the salt water from the glass, into the q tank. You add the water slowly like this so your betta doesn't get shocked by the salinity change.

Generally, you'd change 100% of the water in the q tank daily to discourage bacterial growth and to prevent ammonia build-up. Re-dose the same amount of salt to the new water. Treatment should last at least 8 days, no longer than 10. At least 8 days because even if he starts looking better, if you end the treatment early it'll probably come back. No more than 10 days because prolonged exposure to salt damages their internal organs.

Good luck!
Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #3 
Paper

P.s. If you use a plastic bowl you can float it in the 10gal to keep it warm. Since you have no current in your tank you won't have to worry about it tipping over. You can use a little tape to keep it in place too.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #4 
MichelleA

Are there any medications that help with fin rot? Its getting worse, Ive been changing the water 100% every day. hes in a half gallon so ive been adding 1/4-1/2 tsp of salt. no less than, no more than. Its now affecting his dorsal and anal fins and im only on day 4 but im getting pretty nervous. What should I do if he doesnt start healing by the 7th day? I have a wisteria in there with him. When I go to do the water change there are little white things everywhere. What is this?
Old 09-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #5 
MichelleA

Here are some pictures of him today. Notice all the white floaties and the worsening. I bought some Melafix. Would this be ok to try? And should I use it with aq salt or no aq salt?

Name:  fish 1.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  fish 2.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  57.3 KB
Old 09-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #6 
Paper

First, don't use melafix. Melafix contains teatree oil as one of it's main ingredients and this can damage the labyrinth organ of bettas. Melafix works for some fish but not bettas. There is one called bettafix, which is basically watered-down melafix, but I would not suggest using this either.

However, there are plenty of other medications to help cure fin rot. One of the first ones that comes to mind is Maracyn 2. Maracyn 2 is perfectly safe for plants and easier to dose in a ten gal, which means you can treat him in his original tank. It is also said that it does not negatively affect the biological filter, and it doesn't discolour the water. There are stronger medications out there, that will completely wipe out all the bacteria in a tank and also tint the water different colors.

I would suggest doing some of your own research on fin rot medications, as I have only mentioned one because I know the most about it in particular. There're plenty of discussions on forums and articles about bettas and fin rot. Read reviews from other people who have used fin rot medications on bettas specifically.

White things? I can see them in the picture, but not very clearly. Do they look like little whispy stringy things? In which case it's being produced by your betta. You're probably noticing it because he's in such a small tank. (You'll probably see it in those little betta cups in pet stores if you look closely enough.)
Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #7 
bettafishfins

Does it need to be aquarium, epsom, or table salt?
bettafishfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #8 
Paper

For fin rot? Aquarium salt. Epsom salt is used for internal bacterial infections. Never put table salt in your aquarium.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #9 
MichelleA

Mannn i dosed with melafix today before work... around 3.... crap... hope i dont find an unplesant surprise when i get home : (
Old 09-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #10 
peeptoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleA View Post
Mannn i dosed with melafix today before work... around 3.... crap... hope i dont find an unplesant surprise when i get home : (
Your fish looks a bit like mine, though the "rot" is more widespread on your little guy. Mine is a mystery since whatever did it happened in only 3 days when I was away over the weekend.
Will check back to see how he does with the melafix...
peeptoad is offline   Reply With Quote