Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #1 
GailC

Slight fin rot, plan of attack?

I made the mistake of looking at the bettas when I stopped by petsmart and now I have a young male plakat with mild fin rot. It look to be healing already as there are no black edges but they are a couple spots on his body that could be white fuzzy fungus of some kind.

He is in a 2 gal quarantine tank with a filter, heater and some live plants. Do I really need to do anything else or just do a partial water change daily? I was thinking about adding a little salt just to be on the safe side.
GailC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'd do a 100% water change if you can, it will be more beneficial to him all around he won't need the salt since it doesn't do anything for fin rot.

Can we get some pictures of the fuzzy stuff? It could be columnaris in which you'd need meds to get rid of.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #3 
GailC

Will do 100% changes until I see new fin growth. I can try for a pic but he's in a unlit scratched up acrylic tank so they probably won't be very clear.
The white spots actually look more like damaged scales that got pulled up some how. Its not columnaris or dropsy and now that I got a good look with a flash light, I don't think its fungus either.
Now that he is in clean warm water, he is unclamped, eating and swimming around.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah okay, that's very possible that they are just pulled up scales. I've had some of my girls with that, usually from other fish biting or scratching against objects. Sometimes the lids on the cups can scratch or during a water change they can get hurt. That's pretty common.

Glad he's eating though! That's a great sign!

Yeah you can do 100%'s if you have the time and once you start seeing the regrowth and it's a steady regrowth then you can cut down and just do 50% and then eventually every other day until he's fully healed up
Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #5 
GailC

Will the scales heal or do they eventually fall off?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

They usually fall off and then grow back
Old 09-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #7 
peeptoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
I'd do a 100% water change if you can, it will be more beneficial to him all around he won't need the salt since it doesn't do anything for fin rot.
It doesn't?? I've been told by multiple people (here and elsewhere) to treat mild fin rot with aquarium salt...
peeptoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, it's a common misconception. What AQ salt does is invigorate the slime coat so that your fish is actually over producing slime. That's usually when people see, they look like spider webs coming off the fins and sometimes the body of the fish, that's them shedding their old slime coat because they started to produce more. So in that regard it's good for keeping external parasites off like Ich and Velvet (although Velvet requires more extensive medications unless caught extremely early) and other things because it basically throws the parasite off.

The other thing it does is balance out electrolytes in your fish, so that can be good for the overall health occasionally but if your fish is otherwise healthy, there is no reason to need that.

What really does it for fin rot is the improvement in water, the daily water change is what get's rid of the rot and starts to promote healing. And to further invigorate the healing process, higher temps to boost the metabolism can help as well as a high quality diet like their natural diet of mosquito larvae, NLS and Omega One pellets and a variety of Frozen foods as well. Staying away from most flake foods, freeze dried foods and other less quality foods will be good. NLS flakes and Omega flakes are still good, or rather better than other brands because of their formula, it's just all high quality.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #9 
GailC

He's doing good today, very active and hungry. I'm feeding omega pellets daily and bloodworms once a week as a treat.
I tried to get pictures but they are really lousy. I'm beginning to wonder if he might be a veil with really bad fins. His container was just marked male dragonscale.

See the brighter white spots on his side? Those are the lifted scales, he has scales missing on his other side.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

He's a Halfmoon Plakat who happens to be Dragonscale! He's a beautiful boy! Well the good news is that his tail is growing back, that's what the white edging is, it's not rot. He might have had rot before but now his fins are healing ^_^ they'll get a little longer, I see his anal fin was damage as well but that looks also to be growing!