Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #1 
RBudden

Drowsy Meds?

My poor betta got fin rot :( I think he had it while he was in the pet store, and i just didnt notice it till yesterday, because i was not really aware of fin rot. But im 99.9% sure he has it, so i gave him a salt bath today, and gave him a dose of melafix in his tank. The only problem is now all he does is sit at the bottom, and come up for air every once in a while. He was quite active before but it almost seems as though the melafix has made him a bit drowsy... does anyone else have this problem?
RBudden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #2 
doggyhog

If the fin rot isn't very bad, I would just do salt baths. No other meds. Meds can make them very stressed. I would just do a 100% change and fill his tank with clean water, and add a little bit of salt. You can do up to 5 salt baths a day. Salt baths are really affective and less stressful!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

MelaFix is deadly to anabantoids such as bettas and gouramis. You need to give him a 100% water change ASAP.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #4 
RBudden

I am getting him out of there asap, i just googled melafix and like u said its very bad for them. I am thinking though, since my betta does not mind when i give him salt baths i will just leave him in it? he seems to be perfcestly fine with them.
also his fin rot is very bad so im thinking ill go out and get jungle fungus elminator/clear. what do u guys think
Old 07-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

It did the same thing to Oscar. He was like that for a day or two after I took him out of it but then he was ok after that.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Ok good. I recomend Ampicillin (if you can find it) to really kill the infection. Keep up with the salt baths (if he dosen't mind you CAN leave him in there) and do daily water changes so it dosen't get worse.

Glad I warned you when I did ;)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I was advised to try daily water changes for a few days then if the finrot isn't any better or gets worse, use Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2 together.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #8 
RBudden

Thanks you guys!
and yes thank god you warned me! Im going to put salt water in his tank, but a less concentrated dose than the salt baths, and still do the baths
Old 07-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck. I hope he gets to feeling better!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #10 
Vikki81207

I keep my bettas in "salt baths" when I'm treating them for fin rot. They do perfectly fine and seem perfectly happy. I've also used Melafix and none seemed upset. I must have some weird bettas, lol.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote