Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #21 
RoseyD

the snail is alive and climbing the back wall by the heater. since Id not planned to get a snail and had orig. gone in looking for a couple of otos. (at skiptons but I didnt buy them because there were a few lying dead in the tank.) I now need to research all about those golden snails and their parameters. Are there worries to having a single snail? do they reproduce singly? things like that...
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #22 
dr2b

Snails can reproduce alone. But I have been told they have to be really really happy in most cases to do so. I had a single snail, and he was very content... or he seemed it at least lol. To be quite honest, he was the fastest snail I have ever seen. Make sure you read up on them. I followed what petsmart said, and I am thinking that because I followed their directions it is part of the reason he... well it... died.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #23 
dramaqueen
Banned

Snails need high levels of calcium, ph and kh, which make bettas prone to finrot and bacterial infections. I got this info from Lupin, who is the forum's snail expert. He has tons of different kinds of snails.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #24 
RoseyD

yes. It's difficult to just blindly trust especially when you see tanks with dead fish in them. although the tanks at skiptons looked pretty good except for the one with the ottos in it.

Im in awe at how well behaved the bettas are most especially since the cories are have arrived on the scene.

I am entertained watching them too.

I do have a question about whether the tank is too stocked now... reason being... I bought two schools... that are now in other tanks waiting to see if they are healthy or not.

5 tiny cardinal tetras
5 threadfin rainbows

can the rainbows fit without overloading the tank? any experience out there with mixing threadfins with bettas?

currently the threadfins are in a 5 g. but I expect they'll grow out of it and while I am already planning a larger planted tank... very addictive these things... I'd like to get my first one completed and happily cycled- settled first.

the cardinals are being housed with a new gold gourami. in a 12 g. the gold is 2 inches now and can we say shy? but she wont be small forever... didn't I say I will need a bigger tank soon? Im hoping for a 2 month hiatus before I begin that project.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #25 
RoseyD

my PH is on the high side ... out of the tap 8.2 i
and in the tank it lowers to about 7.8 ... although I do need to test again since I havent looked since Tuesday... my KH and GH was testing 4 drops with api test.

I dont want to risk my bettas because of an algae preventative... what should I do?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:59 AM   #26 
RoseyD

my betta sorority...

The addition of the cories have taken so much of the strain off of my betta girls. The cories are extremely entertaining, and the bettas spend a lot of time following them around the tank, or just watching them because they have a habit of coming out of no-where and bouncing off of them at unexpected times.

Name:  IMGP0313 betta girls small.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  IMGP0300 the fish small.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  31.4 KB

Now it's just watching and waiting to see if the peace will continue. :)
Old 07-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #27 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good luck with them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote