Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Hydor Theo heater?

It seems like a number of people have poorly calibrated Hydor Theo heaters...myself included. Does anyone out there have an accurate one? One that stay at least 2 degrees of where you set it? I would really like to know that the majority of these heaters work well, because I really like how small they are and that they are fully submersible. I would like to trust that if I bought a new one it would be better than my current one.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It's not about the calibration. Often with heater's regardless of size, they like to overcompensate so when you set it at 76, perhaps it reads on your thermometer at 80. That is completely normal and has nothing to do with the calibration of the heater, much of it has to do with how hot or cold it is outside the tank as well and what size/how many watt's of heat you have. Typically I find that if I have a 25 Watt heater which is usually rated under 10 gallons but have it in a 15 or 20, it will have a more accurate "reading" but if you put it in the suggested 3-10 gallon space, it will read higher than what you actually set it at. It's all part of just being a heater and it's not just the Hydor's that do this, all adjustable heaters do depending on the circumstance of course.

So this is why having a thermometer is extremely important, that and to know if your heater is just doing crazy things. Heater's generally don't heat more than 3-4 degree's higher or lower than you set it so if it's going up like 10 degree's or more, it's most likely malfunctioning. Same with if it's dropping and going higher again constantly. Your heater is working when it keeps it at around one temperature so set for 78 but heats at 80 and then flucts between 78-82, that's normal.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

My room is really hot though and it's still over. And it's a 25w in a 5.5 gallon.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #4 
Quinn

My 25w Hydor has kept my 6.5 gallon long tank where I set it, provided the room itself isn't very hot, in which case obviously it will raise the temp. I keep my heater set right around 80, and my tank was pretty consistently at temp.
Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
My 25w Hydor has kept my 6.5 gallon long tank where I set it, provided the room itself isn't very hot, in which case obviously it will raise the temp. I keep my heater set right around 80, and my tank was pretty consistently at temp.
Good to know. Thanks :)
Old 09-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, that's another thing. If the outside temp is hotter, it might overcompensate since it doesn't know that and the water is generally cooler than the air anyway. And then if the room is colder, it tends to stay around where you set it
Old 09-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

For me, it doesn't matter whether it's cold or hot or whatever....idk its weird...
Old 09-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #8 
OrangeAugust

I have a 200 Watt in my 55 gallon (the size that's recommended) and I have to set it at 74 in order for the water temp to be lower than 82. I have 2 others and they're also pretty much the same- they run warmer than what they're set for.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

I honestly think I will just go wih Eheim Jager heaters from now on...
Old 09-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah but it's happened with pretty much every adjustable heater I've owned, it's not just the Hydor's.