Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #21 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
I am really stupid with money too so....yeah....lol XP
Yeah....me too >.< oh well, we only live once right? lol
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #22 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yeah....me too >.< oh well, we only live once right? lol
YOLO! lol jk.....But it's true! Do you know how many times I said "you only turn 21 once" on my 21st birthday? Me neither....lol
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #23 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
YOLO! lol jk.....But it's true! Do you know how many times I said "you only turn 21 once" on my 21st birthday? Me neither....lol
LMAO! Yeah, I'm sure I'll be saying that soon! My birthday is coming up quickly and on a Wednesday night of course! Thursday is going to be...fun and then we do it all over again, same with Friday and then Saturday is party all night day since I'm two day's older than my cousin so we'll both be celebrating hard that Saturday night! Uggg I'm going to die >.< But hey, free alcohol! lol
Old 09-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #24 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
LMAO! Yeah, I'm sure I'll be saying that soon! My birthday is coming up quickly and on a Wednesday night of course! Thursday is going to be...fun and then we do it all over again, same with Friday and then Saturday is party all night day since I'm two day's older than my cousin so we'll both be celebrating hard that Saturday night! Uggg I'm going to die >.< But hey, free alcohol! lol
Lol have fun!
Old 09-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #25 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

hehe thanks ^_^ it should be interesting regardless!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #26 
jadaBlu

I was able to use a small hydror yesterday to heat a one gallon to a consistent temp for a sick fish in a critter carrier. Many heaters are not good for one gallons and this heater is rated to heat a bigger tank but it's staying consistent.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #27 
FirstBetta

If you read the Specs for any heater even the most expensive you will see something in the order of "will maintain temperature +/- 2 to 3deg F or C". That means that the temp can fluctuate 4 deg over all or 2 deg + or -.

I'm not sure but I would guess that any heater that would be more accurate would be out of the budget of most hobbiests, my self included.

I have a Fluval E model which displays the set point and which is at the top of my budget and it reads about 2 degrees cooler that the thermometer reading.

Then there is the tolerance of the thermometer reading. I have three digital thermometers, one for each tank, and they all read difference when in the same tank. The reason I got the digital ones is I couldn't even read the glass ones due to my eyesight.

From my research it seems that the important info is how constant the temp stays. I live in the high desert of SoCal. I have Air conditioning, I wouldn't survive without it since the temp outside is at the 90's with frequent jumps to 100+. I set the house thermostat at 78 and my tanks heaters hardly come on except in the early morning when the outside temp drops in to the 70's. And then infrequently. I found a thermometer at Dr. F&S that is a laboratory standard type it reads about 2 deg
cooler than the digital thermometer in each tank. It is supplied with a calibration chart with certified readings at freezing and boiling which is how most thermometers are calibrated.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #28 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBetta View Post
If you read the Specs for any heater even the most expensive you will see something in the order of "will maintain temperature +/- 2 to 3deg F or C". That means that the temp can fluctuate 4 deg over all or 2 deg + or -.

I'm not sure but I would guess that any heater that would be more accurate would be out of the budget of most hobbiests, my self included.

I have a Fluval E model which displays the set point and which is at the top of my budget and it reads about 2 degrees cooler that the thermometer reading.

Then there is the tolerance of the thermometer reading. I have three digital thermometers, one for each tank, and they all read difference when in the same tank. The reason I got the digital ones is I couldn't even read the glass ones due to my eyesight.

From my research it seems that the important info is how constant the temp stays. I live in the high desert of SoCal. I have Air conditioning, I wouldn't survive without it since the temp outside is at the 90's with frequent jumps to 100+. I set the house thermostat at 78 and my tanks heaters hardly come on except in the early morning when the outside temp drops in to the 70's. And then infrequently. I found a thermometer at Dr. F&S that is a laboratory standard type it reads about 2 deg
cooler than the digital thermometer in each tank. It is supplied with a calibration chart with certified readings at freezing and boiling which is how most thermometers are calibrated.
So you are saying that if I like the size of the Hydor, I should just stick with that rather than switching to a Jager?
Old 09-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #29 
FirstBetta

Smile Hydor heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
I was able to use a small hydror yesterday to heat a one gallon to a consistent temp for a sick fish in a critter carrier. Many heaters are not good for one gallons and this heater is rated to heat a bigger tank but it's staying consistent.
The heater MFR'S are doing us a disservice by saying the heaters are for a max size tank. All the heater does is heat up the water to the point where the bimetallic switch will open and shut the heater off. If there is physical room in the tank you could put a 300W heater in a one gallon tank and it would operate to the set point and shut off and then come on again when the temp drops below the set point band. And the tank inhabitants would not know that there is a 300W heater in the tank because it would be in the temp range for them.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #30 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBetta View Post
The heater MFR'S are doing us a disservice by saying the heaters are for a max size tank. All the heater does is heat up the water to the point where the bimetallic switch will open and shut the heater off. If there is physical room in the tank you could put a 300W heater in a one gallon tank and it would operate to the set point and shut off and then come on again when the temp drops below the set point band. And the tank inhabitants would not know that there is a 300W heater in the tank because it would be in the temp range for them.
Oh I didn't mean size as in wattage, I meant the physical length. The Hydor is two inches shorter than the Jager.