Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #61 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Thanks! Stick around the forum so we can stay in touch and I can let you know when they're ready. I'm hoping to be able to get to Calgary at the beginning of January and they would be ready to go by then. Are you at all interested in the "special" fish?

I think that would mean all of the fry will stay within Alberta and not be shipped .

I'll try to get more pics up tomorrow. They're starting to look good.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #62 
hollyk

I would take your "special" fish, if you shipped to the US. I live in Nebraska...
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #63 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I probably wouldn't ship this guy, even if I could... Thanks for the offer though :).
Old 11-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #64 
veggiegirl

Your fry are looking beautiful MattsBettas! and I am so happy that you rehome or keep any babies that are 'special'. I too do not believe in culling fry so long as they have quality of life. Many deformities may be 'unsightly' to some people but the fish are perfectly happy and can still make someone a lovely pet. I just wanted to say good on you I think your breeding practices/ethics are something to be admired. So many people tend to jump in and say cull cull cull for the slightest of things which do not seem to have the slightest effect on the well being of the fish. You are one of the few breeders that really takes responsibility for the lives they bring into the world via breeding bettas. Keep up the great work :)
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #65 
Aluka

i feel like we get more attached to our special fish. My biggest (because he has his own tank unlike the others LOL) and arguably prettiest baby is my special baby. He doesn't have any ventral fins. but he is so pretty and active, lol.
Aluka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #66 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Thanks guys. Veggiegirl, I take that as a huge compliment since the ethics of culling is something I feel really passionate about, and it means a lot to hear that someone appreciates it. I hate how many breeders cull hard for things that don't harm the fish, like not meeting human made standards. I know quite a few breeders who choose not to kill imperfect fish and that makes me happy.

I don't know. I just feel that if I bring life into the world I have the responsibility to give it every chance I can at a good life.

Aluka, special babies are way too easy to get attached to hahaha. It doesn't help that they're usually the cutest too.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #67 
veggiegirl

I would always buy from someone who has good breeding ethics rather than someone who treats the fishes life as 'cheap/worthless just because they are not considered 'perfect' enough in accordance to their 'standards'.

To me any breeder, like yourself who takes responsibility for the lives they bring into the world is definitely something to be admired and looked up to. Culling for niggly little 'imperfections' I find very unfair not to irresponsible.....

You are a "role model betta breeder" MattsBettas, I appreciate your commitment to the welfare of all of you fish :)
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #68 
TruongLN

I'll take any! I've got a good, loving home for them.
TruongLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #69 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Awesome, Truong. He/she will need a tank with lots of cover near the surface for him to rest on (live or silk plants), and preferably a more shallow tank. He might still stay with me though haha.

Thanks again, veggiegirl.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #70 
TruongLN

What ever you decide :)
TruongLN is offline   Reply With Quote