Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #1 
hmburkle

Royal Blue and Red HM male X Steel and Red HM female

This is my second attempt to spawn. I lost my first spawn due ignorance, to too much IAL and Amazon (blackwater) extract and a low water level. When I raised the water level, my first pair spawned, but the nest fell apart and there was a thick residue on the surface of the water. So, this pair is my back up:

Dad, Sapphire:

Mom, Aurora:

I put this pair together on Tuesday evening about three hours apart. Sapphire first built his bubble nest under wax paper (I don't think I am going to use this as a nest material again), but then built a second nest under the styrofoam cup. At 24 hours they were still courting. I went to work this morning and came home to eggs on the bottom of the glass, but almost no bubbles left. Aurora was hiding in a corner, while Sapphire was picking up eggs as fast as he could and placing them in his nest. Unfortunately, as soon as he would place some eggs, others would fall.

I took a nap, a LONG nap. I woke up 5 hours later to Aurora hiding in the corner with no more breeding stripes, and Sapphire picking up eggs. There are now 3-4 times as many eggs and it appears he is rebuilding his bubble nest, while continuing to pick up eggs. Do you guys think the eggs will be okay? He seems very attentive and filled with frenetic energy. He is not interested in food. I removed Aurora.
Thank you for any advice and input.

Last edited by hmburkle; 11-21-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: spelling
hmburkle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:01 AM   #2 
hmburkle

Sapphire has been tending his nest non-stop. Apparently he requires plants, since he has dragged the hornwort to his nest repeatedly and put bubbles and eggs in it.

The number of eggs greatly increased, my only concern is how much he is moving them. He does seem to reject some, so maybe he knows which ones are good?

I think he is a good dad!

I know this is blurry, but I love the profile.

He's pretty beaten up, but he was also a tail biter. He stopped when I put his tank next to the sorority tank, added more decor, plants and aquarium salt. I just worked on all my tanks, since I slept all evening. I am heading back to bed. *Yawn*

Last edited by hmburkle; 11-22-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #3 
hmburkle

Man, 6:30 came so fast. Before I left for work, I checked on and fed everybody (cats and dogs, too) . Sapphire is still nesting, but almost all the eggs are off the floor of the tank. I was surprised. He has been working non-stop. I will try to tempt him with bloodworms when I get home. I know he is probably fine not eating right now, but it would make me feel better.

The 5 Betta girls are all back together in the 10 gallon sorority tank, but I had to remove everybody and completely re-arrange the plants and decor so they could all go back in a "new" tank together.

My other boys, Flamenco and Moonshine are in their 5.5 gallon tanks. I have no idea where I will put my classroom Betta, Sylvester (1.77 gallon "Goldfish Starter Tank" with heater and light added-who are they kidding that ANY goldfish could do well in this tank?). He will be coming home tonight because I can't leave him unattended for 9 days. He is a silver, grey copper Delta tail (mislabeled as a HM by Petsmart) with Red wash and variegated striped white and black fins. His pectoral fins are white. He is really pretty, too!

I wonder how long the eggs will take to hatch?
Old 11-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #4 
hmburkle

I arrived home and started taking pictures. I already have visible fry hanging vertically from the bubbles. I remember this feeling of panic from when I was pregnant. At about six or seven months you look down at your belly and think, "Oh lord, what was I thinking. I changed my mind!" LOL

War torn, battle weary dad. What a trooper! He ate exactly one bloodworm.

okay, Now I am going to figure out hatching BBS.

Last edited by hmburkle; 11-22-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: duplicate picture
Old 11-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #5 
hmburkle

I can not believe how fast they grow. I like this picture. you can see one fry swimming back up by himself.

I took some better pictures of dad, even with his chewed up fins, I think he is beautiful:

I don't know why you can only see the royal blue in bright light

I do not think Mom is really steel and red, the way she was described and sold to me on aquabid. Her color changes a lot with lighting too.

Anyway, I expect they will be free swimming tomorrow. O.O
Old 11-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #6 
SorcerersApprentice

Love the little fry pictures, so cute!
SorcerersApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:10 AM   #7 
hmburkle

They are continuing to grow, this afternoon, I still had some vertical fry. This evening, everyone is free swimming. Dad is still in there for now, guarding them like a hawk. He flares at the camera now, if I even get close to his children he reacts.

These are near the heater

These are just taken now, maybe 12 hours from the first ones in this post. I have fed them some spirulina. I will try the APR tomorrow. I am really nervous about siphoning and changing or adding water. The temp has held steady at 80 degrees.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #8 
TruongLN

Your fry are going to look magnificent!
TruongLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #9 
hmburkle

Thank you! I feel so happy. I am enjoying photographing them, even though they do not make it easy.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #10 
TruongLN

I can't believe how tiny they are :D.
TruongLN is offline   Reply With Quote