Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #1 
neenjar

Bad little piggy fish. bad boy, stop that.

Last night I made a last ditch effort to not have to scoop Zeus into his original cup for feeding time. It was blood worm night. I had the flake for the shrimp in 1 hand and blood worms in the other with the angry stick handy, and algae tab for the ottos on the ready as well.

I lured Zeus over to the top right corner and added blood worms and flake at the same time. The shrimp saw the flake and made it there in time, then I added the algae tab for the otto's. Zeus still just eating blood worms!

Well he finished his worms then went and ate all the left over crumbs from the shrimps flake food, then went and ate 25% of the algae wafer. i tried enticing him away from it with the angry stick (black dowel rod) but the did not care, he would let me push him away or in circles as his mouth stayed clenched on the algae tab.... Silly betta you are a carnivore, algae is non digestible plant matter for you. His belly got really swollen from over eating, again he was not fed breakfast today even though his belly was back to normal.

Looks like I will have to scoop him out to feed him. I thought betta were supposed to be finicky eaters, all others I have had were, not this guy, nope. I think he'll eat anything that will fit in his mouth.

Last edited by neenjar; 07-23-2009 at 09:52 AM.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:42 AM   #2 
doggyhog

Haha, Yeah, I have two like this!! When I'm vacuming their tanks, they try and eat all the nasties. Euhhh
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #3 
rb500

haha that sounds so funny! funny zues
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #4 
Vikki81207

lol yeah my boys are pigs too. They would eat every bit of food i have if they could.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #5 
AngelicScars

Have you tried zucchini for the Otos? That's what I give them and they love the stuff. I do have the algae wafers too, but they make the tank too messy for me.
You can pop a slice in boiling water to soften it then into cold to cool it off. Clip it on a veggie clip and your set!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #6 
ifish

that sounds like my betta
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #7 
neenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicScars View Post
Have you tried zucchini for the Otos? That's what I give them and they love the stuff. I do have the algae wafers too, but they make the tank too messy for me.
You can pop a slice in boiling water to soften it then into cold to cool it off. Clip it on a veggie clip and your set!
Yeah, I have fed zucchini to various sucker mouth fish for years. I feed algae tabs on water change since I have the siphon in there that day anyway. The shrimp take care of any mess made by anything though. Otto's and shrimp or cory's make an amazing cleanup crew!
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #8 
AngelicScars

Yeah, I think my Otos finally figured out that I put the zucchini in the same spot at the same time so they are over there right as I put it in. They devour it!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote