Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2009, 12:58 PM   #1 
Wed

Angry ugh so disturbing!

yesturday i went into a petstore..didnt look very clean and most of the animals looked poorly taken care of except the dogs and i looked around for bettas and at first didnt see any but when i finally found them it was a disturbing sight...

most were in their usual lil cups but there were 2 in vases that were SMALLER than the usual cups they come in and to top it off they had put small decorations inside and the water was filled a lil more than halfway which had the betta squished to the bottom as possible.

i really wish i could of bought them home with me...<|3 and also all the "tanks" they sold for bettas were the really really small ones. its ridiculous..u would think if u worked at a petstore u would atleast feel bad or somthing n do something about it! i kno i would.
Wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #2 
Starbright

Yep that's the reality =/
I'd say .01% of the people who work at petstore are actually informed about fish. My goal is to work part time at Petsmart before college and totally do a Betta make over. 90% of the fish there have fin rot for crying out loud! >:[
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:41 PM   #3 
Wed

ive applied at Petsmart twice but they never called me back
Old 07-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #4 
BettaSquirt

Yeah when im old enough im going to work at petco hopefully in the fish section. Because i ACTUALLY know about betta fish.
BettaSquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #5 
KassiaScarlett

Unfortunately, that is the norm for 99.9% of the stores that sell bettas. Not only that, they market them as being able to live in little vases and stuff. That's the only reason why I got my precious little Gibs. I had an empty vase so I thougt I'd get a betta to put in it. But when I came on here and found out how to take care of them, I was shocked and disgusted with the way the had marketed them as "easy keeper" fish. It was abusive. Walmart is the worst! They'll stack them right straight up on top of eachother so that the holes in the little cups are covered and they have no air! I really hope that someday people can get more educated on them so these poor fish will stop being abused. Gibs has changed right before my eyes from the sluggish, zombie of a fish that I brought him home as to a virbrant, colorful amazing little creature who spends the VAST majority of his time building enough bubble nests to cover the surface of his tank! Lol. Good luck to you guys hoping to redo the betta departments of pet stores! I hope you actually get to do it.
KassiaScarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #6 
Wed

thats how the pet store had them..stacked right on top of eachother and the housing they had for sale for them were smaller than the ones i usually see,

they even had a housing that was less than a half gallon and came with a divider to have 2 bettas..i was like "are u serious?" the space was probably equal to the cups they keep them in.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #7 
Wed

i am rescuing the 2 bettas today!

i went back yesturday because my boyfriend needed to buy crickets for his savannah monitor and i saw if they were still there and it looked like they hadn't changed the water since i first saw them! it was filthy! i couldnt even see what color one of them was.

im going to put them in temporary vases because i have a 10gallon but i need to make or buy the divider and whatever else i need. im sure craigslist has a bunch of cheap offers! lol but i hope i can rescue them in time =/
Old 07-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #8 
southafrica1001

It is very sad, I understand that you want to rescue them and I do agree with you but I will give you the other side to rescueing pets from pets stores, you will still be supporting the pets store as you are paying for the animals which allows them to carry on with their inhumane ways of keeping animals. If you haven't paid for them because you can make them see the appaling conditions then rescueing is definitly worth it.
I don't want to put you off and I agree with you but I just wanted to give the disadvantage.
Good luck though and it is very kind of you to rescue them ^ ^
southafrica1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #9 
Wed

oh no i understand that. i have everything i need here besides what i said. plus my mom is happier im not begging her for a cat anymore being that they are more expensive and would cost more monthly.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #10 
southafrica1001

^ Yes I'm not saying you should'nt and that your not prepared but just giving you the other side to the story C=. Good luck though ^^
southafrica1001 is offline   Reply With Quote