Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #1 
blastoise584

My betta is dying!!!!!!!!!! Help please!!!!!

My betta I got for my mom on mother's day is dying. It keeps lying on the ground moving then lying down. It refuses to eat and it won't flare. It might have fin rot and ammonia poisoning. My parents aren't letting me go get any medicine that is expensive. here is picture. Any help please. Also I identifying the sickness if I missed any would be helpful.
Attached Images

blastoise584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

Is there a reason you have him lying on a table, rather than being in the tank? Was it just to take a photo?

Since you feel he's suffering from ammonia poisoning, you should do more frequent water changes. This will remove the ammonia, toxins and wastes from the water.

More information is needed. Please fill out the form below. Answer what you can. Leave anything else blank.

-----------------------------------------------------

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #3 
blastoise584

The reason hes on the table was so I could take a picture then I gently put him back in. I just did a water change and its a small tank. Not sure what size though. As you see I'm really a kid wanting to save my betta. :(
The behaviour has changed. befor he was happy and active and now he just is really slow and lies down.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:32 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

Here is some info on ammonia poisioning
Quote:
Ammonia poisoning is one of the biggest killers of aquarium fish. It occurs most often when a tank is newly set up. However, it can also occur in an established tank when too many new fish have been added at one time, when the filter fails due to power or mechanical failure, or if bacterial colonies die off due to the use of medications or sudden change in water conditions.

The worst factor in ammonia poisoning is that elevated ammonia can't be seen. Although the effects can be seen, they are often misunderstood or missed entirely until it is too late. Regular water testing to detect elevated ammonia, and learning what symptoms to look for go a long ways towards combatting this invisible fish killer.
Symptoms:

• Fish gasp for breath at the water surface
  • Purple or red gills
  • Fish is lethargic
  • Loss of appetite
  • Fish lays at the bottom of the tank
  • Red streaking on the fins or body
Ammonia poisoning can happen suddenly, or over a period of days. Initially the fish may be seen gasping at the surface for air. The gills will begin to turn red or lilac in color, and may appear to be bleeding. The fish will being to lose its appetite and become increasingly lethargic. In some cases fish may be observed laying at the bottom of the tank with clamped fins.

As the damage from the ammonia poisoning continues, the tissues will be damaged as evidenced by red streaks or bloody patches that appear on the body and fins. Internal damage is occurring to the brain, organs, and central nervous system. The fish begins to hemorrhage internally and externally, and eventually dies.
Do you use water conditioner?
How often are the water changes? They should be 2X a week for an unfiltered tank under 5 gallons. One should be a 100% water change with gravel cleaning and the other should be 50% of just replacing the water.

If the tank is smaller then a 1 gallon, then it needs a water change every other day
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

saving a sick betta fish can be as simple as providing him with a daily 100% water change and a constant temperature of around 82F. Im not sure what your thermometer is reading, but since Betta fish are tropical fish and the basic requirements for a fish from the tropics is warm clean water. Without this basic provision bettas will easily get bloat, constipated and sick.

I highly recommend setting your aquarium heater to about 82 for your fish with daily water changes...Make sure the water is the same warm temperature of his old water, or you will risk shocking the poor thing :)

Good luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #6 
blastoise584

Yes I do the water changes twice a week. He has all the symptoms for ammonia poisoning. I use spring water bottles for water changes. I do put water conditioner in the spring water too.

Tags
emergency, help fast