Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #1 
GirlVariantB

Pimple on head with white-dot in center?

Hello everybody! I've been "lurking" for a while but this is my first post - I'm hoping somebody can help me diagnose & treat my new plakat.

The story - I received him in the mail in apparent good health on Thursday, Aug. 22. Unfortunately, I was traveling from Aug. 26 - Tuesday, Sept 3. so after acclimatizing him I put him into his 3 gallon tank prepared with bacteria supplement & betta buffer. A friend came every day to feed him 1-2 pellets. I hadn't had time to set up the filter, but I turned it on when I returned late Tuesday night.

That evening, I noticed he had a "pimple" on his head that looked like it was under his "skin". He was swimming with slightly clamped fins, but is still eating fine and is active. I was able to find just a few threads online that mentioned this, but none had any diagnosis or treatment. My best guess from what I read online was that it was either bacterial or parasitic, and since at that time it didn't have the white dot, I thought it might be localized swelling related to a bacterial infection.

I did a complete water change, removed gravel, rocks, fake plant, & carbon filter, washed tank in hot water, de-chlorinated and buffered the water, put in a new (better) heater, added aquarium salt, and started treatment with Tetracycline.

Today, I noticed a white dot (which possibly is raised scales) over the "pimple". I also saw a few very fine, short threads trailing from his tail and maybe one from his body.

I'm going to do at least a 25% water change tomorrow morning, but after that I'm leaving for a week again. I'm worried that I jumped the gun with the tetracycline. Anybody have any idea what is going on?

Name:  fish3.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  67.6 KB

Name:  fish1.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  58.3 KB

Name:  fish2.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  36.1 KB

Name:  fish4.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  82.7 KB

Housing
What size is your tank?
3 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? Approx 74 degrees
Does your tank have a filter ? Yes, however it is not on - was making a lot of bubbles on the surface due to medication
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Zoo Med Labs: Micro-floating betta food, occasional dry mysis shrimp
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 or 2 times a day, fasted one day every week or so

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? – Have had for just over a week, at the end of the week had 100% water change due to concern about "pimple".
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Betta Basics & Topfin bacteria supplement. Currently also contains aquarium salt (approx 1/5 teaspoons) and a dose of API T.C. Tetracycline, and an Indian Almond leaf

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: .5 ppm
Nitrite: .1
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness: (unknown)
Alkalinity: (unknown)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
– on Wed. I noticed a pimple-like growth on his head between the top of his gill and eye. This morning I noticed a white dot in the center, and this evening I noticed very fine, faint “threads” trailing mostly from his tail (I think I see it on his side).
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Fish is still active and inquisitive, eats well. Swims with slightly clamped fins on and off.
When did you start noticing the symptoms ? Wednesday (9/4)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? T.C. Tetracycline, aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Unknown – I ordered him from ebay and he arrived two days before I had to travel for a week. A friend fed him betta food & he appeared “active” to her.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I think about 4 months, less than a year.

..sorry for the epic post! Thanks for the help!
GirlVariantB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:33 AM   #2 
PunkinOfSteel

Does the pimple look like https://sphotos-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/h...07340905_n.jpg ? A white bump that appears to be coming out from under the scales and pushing up the ones that are near it.

Ick isn't large, it looks like this https://sphotos-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/h...73136748_n.jpg they aren't the size of the fish's scales, so you should be okay with that.

You mentioned seeing threads coming off of his fins, do they look like any of these?

pic1 https://sphotos-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/h...42322312_n.jpg

or

pic2 https://sphotos-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/h...56302703_n.jpg
PunkinOfSteel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacteria, fungus, growth, pimple, plakat