Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #1 
KeshiaB

Colour fading near gills and pectoral fin... should I be worried?

I've just noticed some discolouration under Kiedis' gills and pectoral fins, it runs right undernearth from one fin to the other. Is this something I should be worried about?

He ate this morning, although I missed feeding him last night as I was out. It was cool overnight but his water doesn't drop below 22 Celsius. Help!

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 litre
What temperature is your tank? 22 Celsius
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pro's Choice Betta pellets, also Nutrafin flakes but he doesn't like those anymore
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% twice per week and 100% once per week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Serenity Betta Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7
Hardness: 30ppm
Alkalinity: ?

Carbonate hardness reads 0ppm

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Colour fading around gills and pectoral fins, not white but colour has dulled into a light blue, also some small spots on face
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Seems skittish since 50% water change this morning
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I don't know how!
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, I've only had him for 3-4 weeks
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure

Here's the best picture I could get, he's darting all over the place flaring at his reflection in the tank glass...
Attached Images

Last edited by KeshiaB; 09-06-2013 at 11:20 PM.
KeshiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #2 
KeshiaB

Anyone?
Old 09-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Is he a little bloated? It looks that way to me in the photo, but it's a small picture and it's difficult for me to make out details.

How much do you feed him each time? A small amount of bloating will extend the abdomen. As stretches out, it will cause a paler color on the 'skin.'

Also, look at the ingredients in your food. Foods that contain a lot of grains/fillers (wheat, soybean, corn, gluten, etc) can be constipating to some bettas. This can cause the same bloating and discoloration that you're describing.

If your food contains a lot of these, consider switching to a high protein pellet. On this forum, New Life Spectrum (NLS) Betta pellets and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets are two brands that are frequently recommended.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #4 
KeshiaB

He doesn't seem to be. I think my heater has stopped working, I woke up this morning and the temp read 16 degrees Celsius! Poor little guy probably thinks he's in the Arctic!! He's very lethargic and the colouring around his head has gone mottled.

I have a backup heater I'm going to try and I'll go a water change this morning. I have some water conditioner and ammolock, however no aquarium salt, is this something I should consider getting and if so, how urgently?
Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

No, do not use aquarium salt. Aquarium salt is only used for minor external issues, such as infected wounds. He does not have anything like this. Plus he is bloated, and the aquarium salt will likely make it worse.

He is cold.

Bettas are tropical fish. 16C (61F) is MUCH too cold!

If you're going to spend money on something, spend it on a reliable heater. Bettas require a temperature range of 25-29C (77-84F).
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote