Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #1 
Sylerwin

Betta stressed-switching tanks? help

Okay so my current setup is a 10 gal heated/aerated/filtered. I have one male betta, 3 african dwarf frogs, 2 assassin snails, and a TON of pest snails in there. Past few days my betta has been stressed, and showing signs of torn fins/fin rot. (all decor in tank is safe for fins) I checked the water parameters and I'm getting this:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 40ppm
It's 80F, lots of live plants and hiding spaces. He's been by the filter, darting back and forth, and clamping his fins. Someone suggested the frogs are stressing him and that I should remove him. However, I'm not sure if this is an issue, they've been in there for about 2 months together and never showed any signs of stress until the last couple of days. I thought it was a water issue because 3 frogs, betta, and ALL THE SNAILS migrated over to the filter, as if enjoying the flow. I thought maybe it was too hot but that was fine, 80F. I have an aerator on the other side of the tank so it shouldn't be an air issue. I'm not sure why he's so stressed, and all tank inhabitants have been over by the filter like crazy.
My other option is this:
5.5 gal, filtered (high flow, filter up to 20gal...blocking with fake plants), heated, but no lid so temp fluctuates a lot anyway. Fake (silk) plants, and a jar decoration for hiding. No light. It's not cycled, readings are this:
Ammonia: 0-.25ppm (closer to 0)
Nitrite: 5ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

I could do a water change in the 10 gal and add that water to the 5.5gal. However I want to explore other options before doing that.

I have a video on my phone showing the behavior of betta and frogs but I'm not sure how to attach it. If someone knows how I will.

Thanks

Video attempt: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...90706322218027

photos of 10gal and 5.5 gal.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sylerwin; 09-07-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: adding pictures
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #2 
Sylerwin

Now he's sitting at the bottom of the tank with a lot of gill movement--as if panting.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Do a 50% water change immediately. Cut the nitrate <20ppm and keep it there. (<10ppm is even better.) How often do you change water?

Remove as many snails as possible. See if the frogs would like their own place for a while.

If you're planning on cycling the 5g, transfer filter media or substrate. There's little bacteria in the water. Used water is useless.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #4 
Sylerwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Do a 50% water change immediately. Cut the nitrate <20ppm and keep it there. (<10ppm is even better.) How often do you change water?

Remove as many snails as possible. See if the frogs would like their own place for a while.

If you're planning on cycling the 5g, transfer filter media or substrate. There's little bacteria in the water. Used water is useless.
I thought 40ppm nitrate was okay? :( I did remove snails when they all migrated toward the filter, whenever I see them on the glass and not buried in the gravel, I snatch them up. Unfortunately they're two different filters so I can't transfer that, but they're both black gravel so I could add some. I'm afraid of infesting the little tank with snails though :(

I'm really bad with water changes (I was misinformed) but I recently started doing 50% every other week, mostly because I'm really busy and 25% every week is hard to do. If I can, I do. However most of the time it goes to every other week. I have 5 tanks in the house so my water change schedule is hectic, my parents hate all the buckets I have floating around.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #5 
BettaPrincess13

Ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates should all be a 0ppm always. sometimes during cylcing your nitrates or nitrites will spike up a little bit for a few days but it goes down soon after. mine spiked once during cycling but only to .25ppm I just did more frequent water changes to keep it low until it stabilized itself.

I more than positive that the current conditions of the water is whats harming your little guy.

+1 to Hallyx. definitely do a 50% water change to cut down the nitrates as much as possible. continually watch the water params and do more frequent water changes throughout the week until it stabilizes.

also you said you do a 50% water change every other week. with a 10gal filtered tank you should be doing water changes once a week at the least. I have a 10 gal filtered tank and I used to clean it once a week but now I have to clean it twice a week because my fish builds up more ammonia that the average betta lol but because of that my ammonia levels spike up quicker and so I have to clean it more frequently to keep my water levels stabilized.

also you have snails and frogs in your tank which along with your betta so I would assume the waste production builds up faster because you have more living organisms in your 10 gal besides your beta and doing water changes every other week with all of them living in that tank probably isn't enough to keep your water clean. though I've never had snails or anything with my betta so I don't know how much waste they produce if any at all but I assume as living organisms they produce some. but more frequent water changes should fix the problem (:

I'm not an expert at the least but I hope I was able to help (:

also your betta fish is beautiful! I love his colors! (:
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #6 
peachii

Nitrates are a part of any cycled tank and aren't bad until they get in high numbers. 10, 20, and even 40 shouldn't be enough to harm a fish. When they go higher than 40 then you need to worry. 0 nitrates normally means your tank isn't cycled.

I noticed the one white and green plant on the right of the tank, that isn't an aquarium plant, it's terrestrial so isn't doing anything much to help your water quality and will eventually die if you keep it under water. As your plants grow out or you get more in there, they will naturally cut the nitrates themselves. Alot of fast growing stem plants will do alot to cut them, or floaters such as duckweed, water lettuce, salvinia, frogbot, etc. I have a tank with a King betta, snails and frogs - with all the plants I have packed in it my nitrates stay around 10 or so normally.

Did you just put him in a bigger tank? Maybe he doesn't like it or will just take a few days to get adjusted to it. Some bettas don't like bigger spaces or take days or weeks to adjust to having to much room.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #7 
Sylerwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
Nitrates are a part of any cycled tank and aren't bad until they get in high numbers. 10, 20, and even 40 shouldn't be enough to harm a fish. When they go higher than 40 then you need to worry. 0 nitrates normally means your tank isn't cycled.

I noticed the one white and green plant on the right of the tank, that isn't an aquarium plant, it's terrestrial so isn't doing anything much to help your water quality and will eventually die if you keep it under water. As your plants grow out or you get more in there, they will naturally cut the nitrates themselves. Alot of fast growing stem plants will do alot to cut them, or floaters such as duckweed, water lettuce, salvinia, frogbot, etc. I have a tank with a King betta, snails and frogs - with all the plants I have packed in it my nitrates stay around 10 or so normally.

Did you just put him in a bigger tank? Maybe he doesn't like it or will just take a few days to get adjusted to it. Some bettas don't like bigger spaces or take days or weeks to adjust to having to much room.
He went from his petsmart cup to this tank, was fine for two months.