Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #1 
rb500

It just keeps getting worse...

It seems that the more I look into tanks and supplies while I prepare to get my betta, I keep finding smaller and smaller tanks. Look here,

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/14388/product.web

That is just rediculous! It has to be 1/3 or 1/2 gal, and in the description in the the page before it was dubbed "perfectly betta sized"! how stupid can they be?
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #2 
AngelicScars

I think I have the 1/2 gallon version of that brand. Mine is made to be divided so they only get half of the 1/2 gallon! I can't believe they'd make something like this for a fish. Fortunately, I take the divider out and only use the 1/2 gallons as a quarantine or a place to hold my Bettas while cleaning their tanks.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #3 
rb500

Like I said, it keeps getting worse!
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/4065/product.web
Old 07-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #4 
rb500

Yea, how can they think of including a divider for a 1/2 gal? That type of bowl should only ever be used for just that, a space for cleaning or healing.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:22 PM   #5 
AngelicScars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb500 View Post
Like I said, it keeps getting worse!
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/4065/product.web
I've seen those bowls at craft stores. They are used for like Ive leaves.

I think I read somewhere that someone found a purse that you put your Betta in as part of the design. *gags*
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #6 
rb500

Yea! I saw that too, it was in an article about the top ten outragous fashion accessories. That was definetly number one!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #7 
AlfaTheBeta

I cant believe someonw would do that to a fish

you think that those people would realize that the fish die faster in those small tanks.
AlfaTheBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #8 
rb500

Yea I know! It seems that no matter how many failures there are or how many of them die from too little spaces and improper care, no one still wants to believe that bettas aren't just the 'easy fish'
Old 07-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #9 
Philip The Fish

i know what you mean. theres one at petco thats small as it is, but they have a divider option, which makes like each side the size of a betta... its ridiculous.

http://www.petco.com/product/9435/Le...Betta-Hex.aspx
Philip The Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #10 
neenjar

Unfortunately, the average consumer is not educated on ANY products they buy, from electronics to pets and everything in between.

Corporations count on these uneducated consumers and market towards them. Marketing is a very powerful tool on those that do not research and just buy because they want it, or saw a magazine add or TV commercial about it.

In the non animal market it does not bother me so much, let the uneducated waste their hard earned money on junk they will use once and then get bored with, or trying to save a buck and buying the super cheap version of something only to have it break and need replacement.

In the pet market it is a different story. There should be standards that these companies are held to, eliminating animal cruelty in the consumer market. Store employees should be better trained and have real knowledge about the animals and habitats they are selling to not add to the problem. There are lots of shoulds... But only one thing that matters to the companies, profit margins. Training costs money, encouraging environments that leads to shorter animal life creates sales. When the human race can get past greed, then maybe we can start to see some of the changes that "should" be the standard.

/rant

In short, I agree with y'all
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote