Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #1 
Meak

My betta fish swims up then falls to his side.

We have him in a bigger tank and he was doing great for a while, then my husband and I had a fight and I moved out and the tank became neglected and the algae formed more on the sides, then he started becoming this way. We cleaned the tank out the other day and he seems a little happier. He looks up at me like he is smiling, moving his fins a lot but so helpless. I'm crying a lot because of it. I worry about him so much :( I can try to take a picture later to show what he looks like. I think he is swollen in his stomach area, though. He just falls back down like he swallowed a heavy weight and always lands on his side.

Can anyone help me please?
Meak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #2 
Sylerwin

are his scales pine-coning? if he's swollen in his stomach and having trouble swimming, it may be dropsy.
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #3 
Meak

No, but it kind of looks like his belly is discolored, almost grey.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #4 
Meak

Where his head is right below is on the bottom, there seems to be this grey looking swollen bump..I only have my webcam on my laptop so the quality might not be that good.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #5 
Meak

I just took him out of the water, into the net and looked very closely at his under side. It does not look grey actually. It looks like he has no scales at all there, and it is a big bump.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

He may just be a little bloated or constipated. Increase the frequency of your water changes. Clean, warm water and good nutrition are the best ways to keep them healthy.

Can you please fill out the form below so that we have more information? This will tell us things like the tank size, what he eats and how much, etc. Knowing this will allow people to give you better advice.

Answer what you can. Leave anything else blank.

----------------------------------
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #7 
Sylerwin

could be an ulcer, hopefully not a tumor.
try treating with epsom salt.
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #8 
Meak

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 75 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Flakes and worms. They are freeze dried, the worms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every day, 1 to 2 times a day or more.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Haven't in two weeks but we changed his water 4 days ago then again today.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Usually get rid of half and keep the other half.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrifin Betta Plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He looks bloated on the bottom front of his body. The scales seem a bit discolored, gray cropping up through his normal deep red.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He;s lethargic. He still seems excited when you interact with him, but he's slow to come up. It looks like he sleeps at the bottom and he jolts 'awake' after a few commands. Still seems social, but he definitely looks like he's in a funk.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About a month ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Tried to gt him to eat a pea a couple days ago, but he didn't eat it.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not sure.
How old is your fish (approximately)? We've had him for about 8 months but I don't know how long he was in the store.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

What brand of flakes do you feed him? How much do you give at each feeding?

Foods that contain a lot of grains/fillers (wheat, soybean, corn, gluten, etc) can cause bloating in some bettas. If yours has a lot of these, you may want to consider switching to a high-protein pellet. On this forum, the two most frequently recommended foods are both pellets: New Life Spectrum Betta pellets and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets.

Also, can you raise the temperature slightly? 75F is at the bottom of the comfort range for Bettas. Generally, they like temps between 76-84F, with about 78-80F being considered "ideal." Cooler temps slow down their metabolism, which can also affect their digestion.

I suggest keeping up with the water changes. Even in a 10 gal tank, it's recommended to do a partial water change each week. The filter takes care of some wastes, toxins, ammonia and bacteria. But unless you have lots of live plants too, you'll likely need to do partial water changes.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote