summersea

Unhappy Lots of Little Problems - Afraid of a Big Problem

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g divided; shared with another male betta
What temperature is your tank? 81
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? VT Male betta on other side of divider

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Was on Aqueon betta pellets but just switched to NLS Small Fish Pellets today
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day (was 2 pellets each time but now 4 pellets since NLS are smaller)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a Week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 40-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: >.25ppm
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:8.2
Hardness: Extremely Hard
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His face wounds have not healed and his lower fins appear to be slowly disappearing
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No Change
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1 1/2 weeks ago when I bought him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Unknown
How old is your fish (approximately)? Well...just bought him at Petsmart so I am guessing under a year old

Okay, so I bought Artie at Petsmart a week and a half ago. And he has a lot of little problems that I am worried about turning into big problem(s).

(1)In the process of acclimating him to his tank he tried jumping out of his closed cup. He banged/scraped his head in the process. I still have not seen it begin to heal yet. Should I be worried or will it take longer to heal?

(2) Artie also came home with gills that seem to be opened wider than by other two bettas. I am used to the gills being flat against the body but his stick out. Do I need to be concerned? I think they are a bit better now than they were when I got him but that could just be my hopeful imagination...

(3) Also in the process of acclimation, Artie banged up his fins pretty good...broke a couple rays and shaved his fins. I haven't really seen any regrowth and parts have fallen off. On top of that it appears he has mild fin rot on his bottom fin. Parts are curled in appearance and have gotten shorter.

I have been doing his twice weekly water changes and bought a turkey baster today to suck up poop in between water changes to keep the water as clean as I can. I don't have a hospital tank so whatever treatment I do has to be in his 10g with his neighboring betta, Fabio.

Should I go ahead and add salt since there has been no improvement with clean water alone? Or maybe meds? I have Jungle Fungus Clear on hand and can get Kanaplex if needed.

I have attached several pictures with different views of my boy. Any suggestions are appreciated!!! Oh and as a side note: he looks a little bloated in the pics but I did just feed him before I took them...
Attached Images

summersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #2 
summersea

Also, there is a black dot on his head, near his scrapes. Should I be concerned about that or is it maybe a scar from previous attempts at jumping out of a closed cup?
Old 09-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I wouldn't be worried at all... He will heal up with time and clean water. Don't use salt or any other meds unless there is an actual infection present.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #4 
summersea

Okie dokie! Wasn't sure how long it shoul take before I saw any improvement. Will stick with the clean water plan for now! :)

Also, I read that hrf water can make their fins curl but is not a health issue, anyone know if that is true? We unfortunately have very hard water so maybe that is why parts of his bottom fin are curled and not fin rot since the edges don't appear black...