Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #1 
CoolishPrune3

Shopping Petco

I am shopping Petco.com right now for some silk plants to add to my tank. I did get some rocks from neighbor and I'm just not sure what they have been through. I'm thinking about order more rocks. I created this thread to ask if there is anything else that I should add to my order before I ship it out. Suggestions appreciated.
CoolishPrune3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

What food are you using currently?
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #3 
CoolishPrune3

I just order some Omega One Betta Pellets from their website. I should have added more things to my shopping cart because of S&H, but I didn't think of it at the time.

I am thinking about buying a bigger tank for him. I currently have him in a 1 gallon tank and would like to upgrade. I think I am going to get a 5 gallon tank.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #4 
Saber

If you don't have a heater, I would definitely get one of those. The Hydor mini heaters work great.

If you're looking to upgrade your tanks, I highly suggest Petsmart. I don't know if its just where I live, but Petco's tanks are really expensive compared to Petsmart, especially if you're looking for one of the starter kits with extras such as filter, light, hood, etc. (If you already have all of that extra stuff, then their dollar per gallon sale is great!)

Last night I picked up a 5 gallon tank at Petsmart with a bunch of extras for $33. All I had to do was buy a heater, and I was still under what Petco charges for most of their similarly-sized setups. Walmart also has even cheaper set ups. (10 gallons for around $35 I think)
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #5 
Elsewhere

+1 to Saber! Petco can be crazy expensive!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #6 
CoolishPrune3

Okay. So far I put an order in for a 5 gallon tank. I also have black rocks and plants in my shopping cart.
But, I am thinking about a different product for black rocks instead of the glowrocks. I am worried that there is a funny texture to the black light sensitive rocks.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

I'd get all the plants in all different sizes you can afford, bettas love them. A heater if you don't have one already, a sponge filter is nice because with a 5g you can definitely cycle (make sure you get all the parts though for a sponge filter, you'll need the filter, a small air pump, airline tubing, and a airstone to make it work, but still cheaper than a HOB, and several benefits to sponge filters as well)...that's all I can think of. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #8 
CoolishPrune3

I have never order a sponge filter before. Is there any recommended brands to go with? What do you think about the black rocks?
Old 09-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #9 
Blue Fish

I make my own sponge filters because I've got tons of left-over bubblers from years ago, but I see the Hydro Sponge Filter Pro's recommended a lot. :)

Rocks are totally personal preference, like wallpaper, lol! :) I like the natural rocks just because they're neutral and I can get a big bag and use them in all my tanks, but that's just my opinion. :) If you like them, go for it! There's no wrong way to do it. :) And, if you decide you want all black later, it should be fairly simple to take the colored ones out. :)

Your plants are good, but you might want to consider the taller background plants of the same type. They're taller, so you get a little bit more "bang for your buck" in terms of cover. Since they're probably taller than your tank, or almost as tall, the background plants also provide you with more surface level cover since the plants will sag down at the tops, which is the level of cover bettas like the best and feel more secure with. :)

Other than that you seem like you're good to go. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote