Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #1 
doggyhog

Problems with divided tank. :-(

I divided one of my 10 gals. yesterday morning. I have now taken Pax out, for a couple of reasons. He was Spazzing out. He bit off part of his tail. That beautiful round veiltail. So, I took him out and put him back in his 2 gallon bin. Help! What should I do?
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #2 
rb500

Well, for whatever reason he doesn't like it. He may think the divider is really weird or something. Can he see the other fish on the other side? he may have felt he was in danger. I'd keep him in his 2 gal, that's good enough, and put a different fish in the 10 div. As for his tail, I'd check for finrot, and let him heal.
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #3 
neenjar

He may not like being close to another betta. Some do not deal with it well.

I have to give my ghost shrimp to a friend tomorrow, they finally decided Zeus' tail was food. I have Zeus in a salt bath right now and he will spend the night in a 1 gallon cube.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry Pax did that to his tail. I agree with rb, he may have been stressed.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #5 
doggyhog

Now I'm worried that none of my guys are going to do well in the divided tanks....I'm going to get Pax a nice 2.5-5 gallon. Any suggestions? I need something cheap..
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:40 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

They all have different personalities and your others may be just fine being in a divided tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:50 PM   #7 
rb500

drama's right, try someone else in the divided and put pax in theirs
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #8 
Robarie

Thats the way one of my vt, Miclo, was in the twice divided tank, he just wasn't happy even with all his space he would constantly be attacking his neighbor, then he would even try to jump it. And during water changing he took off almost half his long beautiful tail. I dont have room for multiple houses, just dividers so I just couldn't make him happy, I gave him away to a friend, she has him all alone in a 3 gallon and she said his tail is growing back. It really depends on your bettas personality, these fish really do like to be ALONE.
Robarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #9 
AngelicScars

I haven't really had problems with any of my Betta in a divided tank. I didn't think there would be much of a problem.
Is the divider lined with plants so they can't see each other well? Plus, having a cave in each side helps them feel safe.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #10 
neenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
Now I'm worried that none of my guys are going to do well in the divided tanks....I'm going to get Pax a nice 2.5-5 gallon. Any suggestions? I need something cheap..
Are your others tail nipping? If not and they are acting normal they are fine with it.

If you need cheap I would stick to 2.5's or 3's. 5 and higher start getting expensive.

also check craigslist for your area and the newspaper for garage sales. It is the weekend and you might be able to find a complete setup with heater hood and filter for $30 or less :)
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote