Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2013, 03:20 AM   #1 
HeadlessLegoMom

Question Classical Music "Betta Therapy"???

Hello, has anyone tried Classical Music as a way to try and reduce tail biting? Buttercup seems to bite out of lonliness. (Not boredom) He seems to only bite when we leave the apt. for more than a couple of hours, but not when we sleep 10+ hours. Lights/decor/pitures/etc. don't seem to make a difference and he's an otherwise healthy and happy fish. If anyone has tried things like leaving music or television on, I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences and the results whether they're good or ineffective. Thanks!
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:14 AM   #2 
JustinieBeanie

I've never heard of doing that before for fish, but I know some people swear by leaving a tv or something like that on for dogs or cats, so if other things have not helped, and you think it would help, I'd say give it try and see what happens. For the first time, maybe try it out when you are out for a shorter amount of time, as opposed to many hours, so if it doesn't work or makes him more stressed (although I doubt it would) you'll be back soon after leaving, and you can try something else, if you'd like.
Does he have a permanent place to hide that he likes to use? Like a cave, log, ceramic pot, bushy plant, etc. because maybe he feels fine when you are home (even if you are sleeping) but feels insecure or stressed when you are gone and would like to hide till your return, but can't because he doesn't have a hiding place he likes. You could try adding more hiding places. Some bettas really like those floating betta logs.

You could try a ping pong ball to keep him distracted from biting his tail. Also, based on what I've read on these forums, some bettas seem to like having a "friend" in the tank, like a snail, african dwarf frog, or some other compatible fish but that really depends on your Betty's personality and of course Tank Size! If you've only got a small tank, that really limits or in some cases completely eliminates your options as far as other tank inhabitants go. Some, most certainly not all, seem to like having another betta in a separate tank next to them, but other bettas find this totally stressful. If a "friend" or "neighbor" is not an option due to small tank size, limited space, your betta's personality etc. just keep doing what you're doing, maybe try leaving tv or music on when you are gone, and making sure to interact with home when you are home.
JustinieBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #3 
HeadlessLegoMom

He has a betta log and a lovely handmade tunnel that SkyeWillow made. He also has a couple of silk plants and a soft plastic lily pad with no sharp edges. Tried the ping pong, tried leaving a picture of us, and I even added one of those floating glass seahorses so that there are things on every level without being too crowded. I tried light on and off plus smaller light. He'll start to regrow really fast with the aid of the Vitachem, but then all progress will be lost.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #4 
fishkid

My bandmate used to have 2 bettas in the basement where we have our practices. They didn't really respond to loud rock music, I even observed them getting lethargic and bored after a few months.
fishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #5 
Kittiesdragons

I don't know if this will help or not but a couple of my bettas seem to enjoy it when I play my acoustic guitar. They will watch me as if they are truly listening to me so it does seem to have an effect but I'm not sure how it would be if it was just a music player vs. a live instrument since I think they like the sound as well as the vibrations. But that is just a theory.
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #6 
HeadlessLegoMom

I love your avatar picture! Too bad I'm not musically inclined. I am pretty sure Buttercup doesn't like it when my toddler screams/cries/beats on pots and pans/yells into her reverb microphone!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #7 
Kittiesdragons

Thank you :) LOL I'm not sure I would care for all that noise myself but you put up with it cause you love your kids ^.^ I would say give it a shot. Fish are pretty smart and who knows it might help... it sure can't hurt.
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #8 
HeadlessLegoMom

Haha I don't care much for the noise. The toys that are hidden on top of my fridge include a fire truck, whistle, recorder...you get the point!
Old 09-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #9 
callmemadge

My Sherman's tank is next to my radio, and it doesn't seem to stress him out at all. He's a bit more active when the music is on (I like to think he's dancing) but he doesn't flare or freak out when music is played. I think he likes it :)
callmemadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #10 
HeadlessLegoMom

I left the Easy Listening Classical channel on today, and when I came home there were no new bites! We'll see if this continues....