Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #1 
pooka

Cool Advice Please new here

Hi
Well I bought two of my kids a betta each. I have enough basic knowledge of fish care to run a 10 to 15 gallon tank as I have in the past but Betta's are new to me.

They have a nice big bowel at least a gallon I think more though. They do have plenty of room especially from what they were in. They have natural rock gravel stuff not the fine little stuff about nickle size and they each have two plants (fake) to hide around. They already seem happier than they were. There is no lid for it though and I am thinking of making a screen top for it just to make sure no big bugs fly in or they jump out.
oh yea i bought some stuff that goes in the water to help condition it because of the tap water.

Here is what I need info on if you don't mind.

How often do I need to do the water change?

How is the best way to change the water? like leave the fish drain most water add more or remove fish change water when temp settles return fish ect....? details here would be best. I want to make sure that they are clean and taken care of but I am not buying the filter stuff.

What is the tempture that is best for these fish? I have those sticky temp things on the bowel.

I think that is it. here is something fun..... they love to follow my finger. oh yea we feed them once a day just a couple of flakes.

Thank you for your time on this. I thought I could do this but then I saw the water issues and then the tempture thing. They don't tell you much at the pet store.

Thanks again

Last edited by pooka; 07-26-2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: typed wrong word
pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:01 PM   #2 
doggyhog

In a one gallon tank, I would change the water a couple times a week. I change my one gallon tank every two days, but that is because I have a sick fish in it. 1 gallon is a fine size for them, as long as the water is kept clean!!! I would do 100% water changes every 3-4 days. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Def. get a lid for the bowl! They WILL and CAN jump! I have one that is a very jumpy betta. If I lift the cover off to feed him he practically jumps out of his container!

To change the water. Scoop the fish out in either the cup they came in, or a very soft net. Be careful with nets! They can damage their fins. I personally don't ever use nets. I just scoop them out in a cup. I'm sure you know this, but do not use ANY soap when cleaning the bowl! It will kill them. After you have filled the bowl back up with water, float the cup that the fish is in, in the bowl for about 20 minutes. This will regulate the temp.

Good Luck!! And welcome to the fish forum.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #3 
dr2b

Wait are you keeping 2 bettas in 1 bowl??? With reading this I keep getting the jist there are 2 in 1 bowl.

But I agree with what doggyhog said above me.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #4 
doggyhog

Now that you said that Dr2b, it sure sounds like it!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #5 
dr2b

If you have them in the same bowl...get one out. Someone will end up dead. Plus, a little more than 1 gallon bowl (even if it is a little more) is not enough room for 2 bettas together.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #6 
Jazattackk

Betta's don't like flakes! http://bettatalk.com/food.htm Scroll down to the bottom and it shows you the food they do like, and dont :)
Jazattackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Some bettas will eat flakes. Mine do. Some like them and some don't.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #8 
pooka

I am so sorry THEY ARE NOT IN SAME BOWEL. They each have their own bowel and I really think that it is just about 1 1/2 gal. I think when I do a water change I will measure the water to find out for sure. The flakes I bought showed betta on it and said betta food that is why I bought it.

Each bowel has one fish two fake plants and of course the rocks on bottom. So far neither have jumped out. Thank God

I was thinking every other day the half water change then once a week a full change if that will not work let me know.

I will try to take photos soon well sometime this week.

I did buy a net but I don't want their fins messed up that has to hurt them. I will use cup. As for food well they are stuck with flakes a bit longer I will get them something they like in a week or so give or take. Need time to get to store.
From my little knowledge of fish and the room they need depending on amount of fish ect... I would say they have plenty of room.

I do know they will fight until one dies as my understanding is they are males. If they are close to each other but in their OWN bowels will they get too stressed or will it keep them intertained?

Thank you to all of you for helping me have a better understanding so I can keep them healthy and happy.
pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

All my bettas are in separate tanks and they are next to each other. They may flare at each other every now and then but basically they ignore each other.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #10 
dr2b

Whew glad to hear there aren't together :) Sorry it just sounded like it. I think they should be okay next to each other though.