Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #1 
desic97

Female Betta Very Swollen Belly

My female Betta Bambi her belly is very very swollen. My male Betta Spike passed away four days ago, he had just returned to the tank after recovering from Popeye. He had been doing great for the first few days then on the 3rd that evening he hadnt eaten all day, hes color was fading and he was staying at the top of the tank in one spot all day, the next morning I woke to find he had passed. I cleaned the tank inside and out all the decorations and vaccumed the whole tank and that night checked the water parameters and all was great the only thing missing was Spike. Bambi, the Dojo Eel, Cory Catfish, African Dwarf frog, And the Albino Pelco all seemed normal. Then last evening around 9pm i went to turn the light off and found the my Dojo and frog had died and the water was couldy when it had been clear early all day it was. So I moved Bambi, the catfish and the pelco to a 3 gallon tank the temp was the same upon move i added aquiraum salt and Jungle Lifegaurd all in one treatment. What do I need to do for Bambi she looks like she is going to explode any minute? Do i need to put her in her own tank for now? My mom has a male betta but he wanted nothing to do with the female betta my mom put in his tank, should i try putting her in his tank? Do i need to stop the treatment of the lifegaurd? Im at a loss here on what is going on with them? I cant lose Bambi not now after losing Spike and my other two boys!! Please Help

Housing
What size is your tank? 3gal
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? yes now 1 albino plecostomus, 1 cory catfish

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? tetra betta min tropical melody, api bottom feeder pellets, aqueon shrimp pellets, mosquito larva
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day, larva once a week

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20-25% once a week, 50-% once a month
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? api aquarium salt, api stress coat, api stress zyme+ & top fin tap water dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:N/A 3 gal tank N/A 20 gal tank
Nitrite: 0 3gal tank - 1.0 20gal tank
Nitrate: 0 3gal tank - 20 20gal tank
pH: 7.2 3gal tank - 7.2 20gal tank
Hardness: 75 3gal tank - 150 20gal tank
Alkalinity: 80 3gal tank - 120 20 gal tank

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? swollen belly
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?slightly
When did you start noticing the symptoms?9pm last night
Have you started treating your fish?yes If so, how?moved and new water with aquarium salt, and jungle lifeguard all in one treatment
Does your fish have any history of being ill? ick
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got her in feb. 2012
desic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:25 AM   #2 
junjun0857

does your female betta has white poop and raised scale? if there is, then ur female betta is infected with dropsy.
junjun0857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #3 
desic97

female betta very swollen belly

no her scales are not raised, and i haven't noticed any white poop
Old 09-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

1) Remove the Aquarium salt. (Do a water change using water that does NOT contain aquarium salt.)

Aquarium salt is for external issues only. If she doesn't have wounds or fin rot, then it is not needed.

Aquarium salt is also high in sodium. This can cause bloating, and puts stress on the kidneys as they try to eliminate the excess fluid.

2) Add Epsom salt.

Epsom salt has a laxative/fluid reducing effect. I recommend using OFL's Epsom salt treatment. It starts out with a dosage of approx 1 teaspoon Epsom salt per gal on the first day, then brings it up to 3 teaspoons per gallon over the course of several days. The entire treatment can be done for 10-14 days.

OFL's Epsom salt treatment:
  1. Add 3 teaspoons Epsom salt to one gal of conditioned water.
  2. Stir/shake until the Epsom salt is completely dissolved.
  3. Using this premixed treatment water, make 25% water changes every 15 min for 1 hour today.
  4. Tomorrow, do a 50% water change using this premixed treatment water.
  5. Then, every other day for 10-14 days, do a 50% water change using this premixed treatment water.
Epsom salt is inexpensive, and you can get it at supermarkets and grocery stores, such as Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, Publix, etc.

Look for 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, perfumes or additives.) Since it doesn't contain sodium, it won't stress his kidneys (like aquarium salt does). Look for 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, additives or perfumes.)

You can also cover the top of the tank with plastic vegetable wrap. This will increase humidity levels, and make it easier to breathe. Be sure to leave several inches of air between the water and wrap, so your fish can breathe!

3) Since other fish have died - you should treat the tank.

I would use a broad spectrum antibiotic, such as the sulfa class. API Triple Sulfa or Mardel Maracyn Plus (must be "plus"). These are available at places like Petsmart. Do not use this if you are allergic to sulfa drugs.

Another antibiotic option is Kanaplex (Kanamycin). This isn't available at many petstores, so call ahead before you go out. If you can't get it locally, it can be ordered online.

Antibiotics will kill the bacteria in your filter too, so remove the media before treating. (But use caution when replacing it later, since it may be harboring whatever pathogen is killing your fish.)

4) Do NOT put more than one Betta into a single tank (unless the tank is divided).

They will fight. One or both will be injured, or possibly killed.

5) Do NOT put a sick betta into a healthy betta's tank.

You don't know what's wrong with her. Putting her into the male's tank will expose him to the same pathogens that are affecting her.

Do not share any equipment between tanks. You do not want to cross-contaminate the other tank.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #5 
desic97

female betta very swollen belly

I'll try that, thanks for the help