Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #1 
BlackCanary

blood red Mystery Spots

This morning when i gave emerald his breakfast i noticed he had these 2 blood red dots on The bottom of
his fin his fin does not look like its been torn and the dots were no there last night. I have no idea what this is or if i should be worried
I have a 1/2 gallon tank i could use as a hospital tank if i need to please help
Attached Images

BlackCanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

So he's acting normally, but just has those spots? If so, I wouldn't worry about it yet. I would do a partial water change, to lower the level of wastes or bacteria in the water. This will help prevent infection, in case the spots are from wounds.

If the spots don't go away by tomorrow, OR if they start to look worse at any time, OR if he develops new spots -- please let us know. (If that happens, please also fill out the info on this sticky so that we have more information.)

But for right now, I'd just do a partial water change, and keep an eye on him.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #3 
BlackCanary

He's acting normally I'll do a partial water change and keep an eye on him should I do partial water changes everyday till he's bette?
Old 09-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

If you can, that would be great! Changing the water will remove bacteria, toxins and wastes. Clean, warm water and good nutrition are big factors when it comes to keeping them healthy.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #5 
BlackCanary

when i got up to feed emerald he was floating at the top of his tank face up tail down and not very responsive to my finger and the red dots has spread to all his other fins and his fin is torn where the two first dots and he also look bloated in the area between his head and anal fin are and isnt really eating i have no idea whats wrong please help
Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon divided tank but i took him out and put him in my 1/2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 72
Does your tank have a filter?no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?another betta fish on the other side of a divided 10 gallon

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?new life spectrum betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?3-4 pellets once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?his fins are covered in red spots and hes bloated
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?he just floats and is not responsive when i feed him
When did you start noticing the symptoms?yesterdayYesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?no i have no idea how
Does your fish have any history of being ill?no
How old is your fish (approximately)?got him august 31st from petco
Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

It sounds like Septicemia.

Kanaplex (kanamycin) would be the antibiotic I recommend. Some fish stores may have it, but many don't. It's also available online, but this means waiting for it to arrive.

If you can't get Kanaplex, try one of these:
- API Furan 2 or Bifuran or Jungle Fungus Clear
- API Triple Sulfa or Mardel Maracyn Plus (must be Plus) - do not use these if you are allergic to Sulfa drugs!
- Tetracycline
Old 09-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #7 
BlackCanary

i dont want to wait for it too come ill run to the pet store and see if i can find any of what you suggested, is it contagious he was in a divided tank with another one my bettas
Old 09-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

Septicemia can be caused by a lot of different organisms. So it's difficult to know whether it's contagious or not. Personally, I would treat it as contagious. (Better safe than sorry.)

I would treat the 10 gal this way:
  1. Do frequent partial water changes for a few days. This will physically remove any bacteria or pathogens that are in the water.
  2. Normally, I suggest lowering the temperature - but I just noticed that your 10 gal tank is at 72. This is really low for bettas..... Since your guys are used to it, I would leave it this way for a few days, as bacteria multiply more slowly at cooler temps.... But eventually, you'll want to raise the temp into the 'comfortable range' for bettas, which is about 76-84F.
  3. I would not treat the 10 gal tank with any medications right now. If your other fish's immune system is strong, and you physically remove the pathogen via increased water changes, he may not have an issue.
  4. If your other fish displays any symptoms, then treat him with antibiotics.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 09-08-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #9 
BlackCanary

Littlebluefishlets Unfortunately when i got back from the petstore emerald had passed away Im not sure if the medication would of helped Him or not, im very sad that he died my fiance buried him, I Drained all the water in my tank and Changed it out and i will do partial water changes for the next few days and.im gonna be getting heater nxt weekend. Thank you for all your help with emerald
Old 09-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

I am very sorry. You did what you could. It sounds like the infection got into his bloodstream, and was carried quickly throughout his body.

SIP Emerald.