Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #1 
zoeyxo93

Unhappy Two betta, one lying on the bottom side way and the other stay in a corner

I have two betta fish. One male and One female, they are named Alpha and Beta respectively. I got them around 1 month ago. They share a 2.5 gallon tank with a separator in between. They had been sharing the same tank since the beginning, they were doing fine until today.

I changed a little bit of water from their tank. Soon after, Alpha swim through the small crack at the separator to Beta's side of the tank. As soon as I realize this, I took Alpha out to another tank.

After moving Alpha, the two of them have some weird behaviors. Alpha is hanging vertically, then later side way on the bottom of the tank. As for Beta, she hide in a corner and won't swim around. I tried to put food into their tanks and see if they will eat, but they both won't.

I am extremely worried. Please tell me if there is any solution or suggestions. I don't want them to die because they are my birthday present. If you need anymore detail, just ask. Please someone help me!
zoeyxo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #2 
blufish425

Is it possible they fought when Alpha snuck over to Betas side? Also, please fill this out

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #3 
zoeyxo93

Unhappy Answer to the question

I don't see any wounds on either of them and I did not see them fight.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? No Filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? They live alone on their side of the tank.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Pellets, Aqueon Betta Bloodworm Treat
How often do you feed your betta fish? I feed them twice a day, two pellet each time and sometimes I substitute it with a worm.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 70%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I had never tested my water

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No appearance changed
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Alpha is laying side way on the bottom of the tank, refused to eat. Beta stop swimming and just hang out in a top corner of the tank and refused to eat.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? After the change of water today, it has been 5 hours since I wrote the post.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I don't know what to do because I am a beginner.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I don't know, my friend bought it for me and they had no idea either. I got them for about a month ago.
Attached Images

Last edited by zoeyxo93; 09-08-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #4 
blufish425

Well for starters, although 78 is the perfect temperature for them, you should consider getting a heater so that the temp doesn't drop over the winter. A consistent temperature is important.

2.5 gallons is a fine size for one fish, but its a bit too small when divided in half. Also, it can be very stressful for a male and female to live in the same tank (even though you have a divider.) I would highly recommend taking out the divider, keep just 1 fish in that tank, and buy a second tank.

I don't think any of that is causing their problems right now, but its just some general advice.

Were they acting funny right away when you found them together? Can you post any pictures?
Old 09-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #5 
zoeyxo93

Pictures

Here are the pictures. The one laying flat is Alpha and the other one is Beta.

Beta stop swimming around like she used to when Alpha snuck over. Alpha started acting funny after I remove him from the big tank into the small tank. I didn't get new water for the small tank for separation.
Attached Images

Last edited by zoeyxo93; 09-08-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

+1 also want to add something. You wrote that you notice the symptoms after the water change. And + i am wondering if they got into the fight before you separate them.
But since you saying that the behavior change started after the water change i would i was thinking is there any way you could forget to put water conditioner? Or may be when you change the water the new water temperature was very different from their water temperature.
What i would do is more water changes right now as soon as you can. Do a few 50% water changes about 30 min apart. Do not forget water conditioner . Of course keep them separate . Not sure how big is the second tank , but you can do daily water changes in the small tank until you can buy a permanent tank. But i think you need to make them better before you even buy second tank. But the temperature also will drop over night though below 70 which is not good at all.
But do water change for them if you can today before you go sleep and try to make water the same temperature as their .

Did you see you post we got to put it at the same time...

There is a hole in those tanks for the air right , well it a betta tank so i would assume that of course it is

Last edited by ANHEL123; 09-08-2013 at 10:41 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #7 
zoeyxo93

I did not see any fighting before separating them. The big tank is 2.5 gallon and the small one is 1 gallon. I let the water sat for 2 hours before putting them back so I am assuming the temperature is not a problem. I changed water the same way for a few times, they never reacted this way. The only difference is Alpha snuck over to Beta's side of the tank. Thanks for your suggestion, I will try it.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

Did see your post again

You can take betta from the tank so you don't bother them when you fill up the tank with the new water.
You can do the acclimation this way , but i am assuming its too late now and you will go sleep. You can do it other way II

I)Float his store cup in the tank for about 30 min. (Longer is OK.)
Add a SMALL amount of tank water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
Let his cup float for about 15 min. (Longer is OK.)
Repeat the above two steps, until at least an hour has passed.
If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
Gently release him into the tank.

II) Have betta in the changing cup with a little bit of the water about 15 % and keep adding new water (a few tspoons) every 4 minutes about 5-6 times to make them get used to the water
Old 09-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #9 
ANHEL123

I didn't see your post ...yes if you let the water say for 2 hrs not sure if it enough though...but it might be not the reason. And they didn't get in the fight. I would still try to do a few water changes today and tomorrow too. See how they doing. I was wondering if something new can be in the water.....What water conditioner you been using? Did you ever check you water parameters? Do you think there is any update to your water sources? I know sometimes the city doing prophylactic and adding extra chemicals to it? If you using Prime you can add 4 drops per gallon.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #10 
blufish425

Did you put water conditioner in Alphas tank? Is the water you put in there the same water you let sit for 2 hours? The shape he is in is very bad.