Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #21 
Raging

Wisteria is a great plant :) I also love Anubias plants. My bettas enjoy resting on the leaves.

And it is amazing how much a gravel vacuum/siphon will make your life easier.
Raging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #22 
marshallsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLewis1990 View Post
I'm adding plants to the tank on Thursday evening. I'm thinking 2-3 wisteria, 2 Anacharis, and maybe a 1-2 for a smaller low-light plant. Any suggestions? Maybe something that would look good in the foreground of the tank, assuming I plant the Wisteria/Anacharis in the background?

I went to PetSmart today and noticed the Wisteria they had there was very tall. If I do get tall Wisteria, can I simply plant it in the substrate rather than let it float? The height would be close to the top of the tank, and thus close to the light source... For more even light distribution, would two lights work?

If I do ground my plants in substrate would the little fertilizer pellets (Seachem) work if I placed them under the roots and then buried them in substrate?
I don't know about other plants than the 2 I mentioned, but you can go to the planted tank section and ask there.
I didn't mention that as the Anachris and Wisteria grow tall and then you pinch them in half and replant then they both grow tall and you pinch them in half and so on and so on. Eventually you're looking for someone to take your clippings because you don't have room for them. After my tank and plants got established , every 3-4 weeks I gave away a ziplock bag packed full of plants. Bettas love floating plants because it gives shade in the tank, they don't really like the spotlight. You can do both or either. Planted they will grow roots to hold themselves down but they don't feed through the roots. Feeding in the substrate will muck up your tank. Two lights are better than one in your case.

Last edited by marshallsea; 09-09-2013 at 09:45 PM.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #23 
CoolishPrune3

I don't mean to jump in on the conversation, but I am. :)

Is it better to have any kind of plant in your tank versus having no plants at all?
CoolishPrune3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #24 
marshallsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolishPrune3 View Post
I don't mean to jump in on the conversation, but I am. :)

Is it better to have any kind of plant in your tank versus having no plants at all?
Yes but slow growing plants can have very little effect. Fast growing plants can have huge effect. Fast absorb much more ammonia and nitrates/nitrites so much faster. Fast can act like a cycled tank whereas slow plants not so much.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #25 
HLewis1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
I don't know about other plants than the 2 I mentioned, but you can go to the planted tank section and ask there.
I didn't mention that as the Anachris and Wisteria grow tall and then you pinch them in half and replant then they both grow tall and you pinch them in half and so on and so on. Eventually you're looking for someone to take your clippings because you don't have room for them. After my tank and plants got established , every 3-4 weeks I gave away a ziplock bag packed full of plants. Bettas love floating plants because it gives shade in the tank, they don't really like the spotlight. You can do both or either. Planted they will grow roots to hold themselves down but they don't feed through the roots. Feeding in the substrate will muck up your tank. Two lights are better than one in your case.
So would you suggest a liquid fertilizer then?
HLewis1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #26 
marshallsea

Yes . Seachem Flourish is very popular and makes my plants grow like weeds. If you later get into some root fed plants then you will use tabs. But for the sake of your fish you should get the fast growers established . Since they are almost foolproof you can get the feel of growing plants then move on to more decorative plants.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:42 PM   #27 
marshallsea

IME root fed decorative plants can be a little challenging.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #28 
marshallsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLewis1990 View Post
So would you suggest a liquid fertilizer then?
Not Seachem Exel or Comprehensive. Just Seachem Flourish
Old 09-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #29 
xjenuhfur

Eventually (usually for like a few weeks in December/January) your going to need a heater for the tank. 50W should be good enough. It soo hot in FL right now my tanks hover around 80 in the house.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #30 
HLewis1990

Lighting wise, would this work in a adjustable neck desk lamp?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_302424-3-269...lbs&facetInfo=
HLewis1990 is offline   Reply With Quote