redcharizard

Question one spot on both eyes but only betta has it

Housing

What size is your tank? 10gal divided
What temperature is your tank? 82-84
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? one side has a mystery snail and the other side has a betta and a ghost shrimp(this stocking has been like this for months now)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?aqueon betta treat freeze dried blood worms, new life spectrum betta formula, tetra betta min tropical medley
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-60%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? api stress coat + (some times i also add nutrafin betta plus+ has almond extract, seems to calm down the bettas quick after a water change)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:idk
Nitrite: test strip read 20-40
Nitrate: 0.0-0.5
pH:7.0-7.5
Hardness: gh=180+ : kh=240+
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? dot on each eye looks like a scale on the center of eye
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms? on Wednesday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? constipation; pooped white for a day or two then back to normal without treatment
How old is your fish (approximately)? i got both as baby bettas from petco in september or december 2012
redcharizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

I'm sorry I can't help you with the eye, but that betta looks grossly obese. You might want to fast it for a week...

ETA: before taking my advice though, let someone else chime in...I am not very knowledgeable about fish diseases unfortunately /:

Last edited by finnfinnfriend; 09-09-2013 at 01:02 AM.
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:12 AM   #3 
redcharizard

That Betta has always been fat looking since it was a baby
Ive fasted it before not much changed I might try it again maybe it's not just a deformity
Old 10-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #4 
SocratesGS

Any updates to this? I keep a Betta in my office, and came back from the weekend to see the same thing on her... 1 liter water changes are done every Friday afternoon for the 1 gallon tank I have her in. She is acting / eating normally and her tank mates (2 small khuli loaches) are fine too.

Tank info:
Volume - 1 US Gallon
Filtration - UG filter powered by two air pumps for max water flow
Lighting - 3watt 20 Lumen 6500K LED light (custom made in china)
Substrate - medium sized gravel
Other - 1 small live Java Fern that seems to be doing just fine and a fake plant.
SocratesGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #5 
redcharizard

spots havent grown or changed in anyway and the fish are fine but i now have a brown algae bloom
Old 10-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #6 
SocratesGS

Have you tried any medication? I cleaned my tank "glass" on Friday and realized it was the very beginning of a brown algae bloom.
I wonder if that is significant. I had a fish sitter take my tank while I was on vacation and it was placed near a window for 5 days.

Also, the reason I added my Java Fern was to avoid a brown algae bloom.
I guess I put it in there a little too late (it's only been in there 3 weeks, starting the day I got back from vacation) to stop the nitrate build up.
It's an inevitable occurrence for most aquariums because the build up of waste in the gravel will eventually overtake the regular water changes.
I guess I need to get a gravel vacuum schedule going now too.

Last edited by SocratesGS; 10-07-2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: easier to read formatting
Old 10-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #7 
redcharizard

i havent used any medication and i dont know why im getting brown algae

just buy your self a eheim quick vac makes vacuuming gravel faster and easier imo. its kinda pricy but worth it
Old 10-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #8 
SocratesGS

Brown algae is usually a result of too much light and high nitrates... it could also be diatoms.
In the case of diatoms it's a result of poor water quality.

In my case I think it's an excess of nitrates as the java fern started to grow pretty quickly.
I have added another java fern and am doubling up on water changes (to vacuum the gravel).
I've also cleaned up all of the visible brown algae by taking the riser tube of the ug filter out of the tank and wiping it down before replacing it.

If the cloudiness doesn't get better after the nitrates have been tamed I will hit the tank with some antibacterial remedies.
I usually like to use the weaker stuff first to avoid stressing the fish out.
But the water quality has to be really good or the medication won't have as much impact on the bacteria.

It's 1 gallon acrylic so the normal gravel vacuums siphon too much water too quickly for me to get any vacuuming done
before too much water has been siphoned out.
I will also have another challenge when trying to correctly dose medication for this tank as all of the packing is for 5 or 10 gallons a dose.

Last edited by SocratesGS; 10-08-2013 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Forgot to add some more info